Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clay's Pulled Beef - It's What's for Dinner!

Options
Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Egglectic, You're right-that's great food. Last year on our family vacation, someone asked what everyone's favorite food was. I thought I'd hear things like steak, lobster or maybe pizza from the younger folks. Once someone mentioned the Clay Q's pulled beef that i make on the Egg, almost everyone around the table agreed it is their favorite food. It takes so long to make it that I usually make a double batch. I did 12 lbs of chucks on 4th of July, then double stacked 2 DO's on my adjustable rig for part two of the cook.
    Thanks for posting.
    Brian
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Where can one find that recipe?

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    There's a place here called 'recipes', and after that, 'beef' and after that...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Many thanks......guess I coulda looked there, duh!
    What a great bunch!

:S
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Holy Smokes Brian, that's half a cow! he he he Great story about the pulled beef BBQ.
    Most I eva done was 11 pounds and that took all day, but what great day spent around the egg. :cheer:
    I nominate YOU for the Bubba Tim carnivore award. If you got pic's sure would be nice to see them. Be sure to take pic's next time you smoke a big batch. Double stacked Dutch ovens! :woohoo:

BGEClaysBBQBeef0002-1.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Pulled Beef BBQ does the job on unexpected guests! Nice work! :cheer:
    Letme buy you a beer.
    Beerforthecook0001.jpg
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Hi Clay! Last year I did 18 lbs, but that was in two eggs with a total of 4 DOs B) That was actually easier because I didn't have so much jammed into the DO. Also, when I make them I go to the butcher shop and get really thick chucks. I figure if I'm going to spend most of the day doing it, I need to maximize my production!!
    Brian
    PS-I'll check photobucket. I may have pics from the 18 lb cook.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Clay, Couldn't find the 18 lbs, but here's how I do it in one Egg.
    BigGreeneggPhotos311.jpg
    And the set up for the DOs
    BigGreeneggPhotos317.jpg
    Basically, the spider on the bottom, then the pizza stone,then some 1/4 inch copper elbows, then the DO, then some rods through the adjustable rig, add the grid, then another DO on top. Very important...remove the thermometer before closing the lid. I found out the hard way :sick:
    Brian
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Clay Q
    Options
    You're awesome. What you do, amazing!
    Thanks for the pic's. When we meet again, I'm shaking your hand.
    Here, let me buy you an ICE COLD one my friend.
    BGEwarmfirecoldbeer0005.jpg
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great! This has been on my list to try.

Is there a particular type of sauce you prefer for this...or just your favorite Q sauce. For pulled pork I like a vinegar based sauce, but for some reason I'm thinking for beef I might like something more robust.

Also- if I don't have cowlick is there any other blend of seasoning that will get you close? Thanks! It's about time I order some cowlick but I'm not sure if I'll get it in time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Just saw this and I am Going to try this soon. Looks delicious. Any special tips or secrets anyone wishes to share. Just did pastrami this last weekend turned out great. Thanks.
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Tip; In stage two if you have a lot of beef it can help to bump the dome temp up to 300 degrees to target internal temp around 212 for pulling. Otherwise meat might stall for hours and hours. I'm talkin 9lbs. or more.
    Good luck. Give me a hollar anytime if you have questions. :cheer:
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Clay Q
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck and have fun!
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options