Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's cook: yakitori, seabass, ahi & ebi nigiri

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a craving for some Japanese food, so went a little nuts today ;)

Also, I got some new lump last week from a place that delivers year round, so I won't have to worry about the forthcoming end to lump season. This was pretty good quality lump too... no dust or gravel that I could find in the first bag I opened. Only problem was the bag had a tear in it, but the lump was still quite good.

IMG_6084.jpg

I only used a few pieces since it was a pretty small cook (as far as the Egg is concerned!). This stuff burns GOOD too, far better than the crap they sell at the hardware store. If anyone in the UK needs a source for lump, check out Woof! wood fuels.

IMG_6083.jpg

Anyway, I'm missing several pics since my wife got a new camera, and I don't have the Camera Raw update yet on my computer to convert the images... so only have a few in progress pics from my camera.

Here's a pic of the kitchen counter about halfway through the devastation:

IMG_6081.jpg

Yakitori ready to go on the egg.

IMG_6082.jpg

Pancetta wrapped asparagus yakitori & shitake mushroom yakitori on the egg.

IMG_6086.jpg

The tare sauce was based on the tare sauce recipe in Raichlen's Planet Barbecue.

Chicken yakitori on the egg:

IMG_6089.jpg

Turned over. I forgot to soak the wood skewers so had to improvise with a foil shield held in place by some egg feet. haha. some of the skewer still burned though.

IMG_6090.jpg

Sea bass. For this, I used a garlic-ginger soy/sesame/fish sauce marinade, and basted it with the tare. It was incredible!!

IMG_6092.jpg

Plated: yakitori 3 ways, seabass, the leftover sushi rice with some tare drizzled on top, and a few steamed brussels sprouts drizzled with a sesame/soy sauce and ground freshly toasted sesame seeds.

IMG_6096.jpg

For starters we had ahi & ebi nigiri. Was good, but the wasabi was a bit off so I was a little disappointed.

Funny, my wife is half-Japanese, and she wouldn't even let me touch the rice until it was completely prepared. haha

IMG_6098.jpg

Wasabi, freshly pickled ginger, and freshly pickled hot radish (well, fresh as in I pickled them last night).

IMG_6100.jpg

Must have done something right, my wife commented several times that it reminded her of her grandmother's cooking :D And the only leftovers are a few brussels sprouts. haha

Comments