Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Guilty your honor

GandolfGandolf Posts: 878
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I broke the cardinal rule with some very nice Baby Backs last night. Cooked the darn things at 240 for 6 hours like I planned instead of until they were done. Tasted great, but not very tender. Meat had not shrunk back from the bone tips, so I knew better than to take them off. I always (almost) cook to temperature or doneness on the Egg, never (almost) by time. Oh well, it was a pretty tasty reminder.

Comments

• Weekend WarriorWeekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Dave, you cooked baby backs for 6 hours at 240 and they weren't done??? Once in a blue moon, I'll let some go go 4 1/2 or 5, but then I'm trying to scrape them off the grate with a spatula because they got too soft and are falling apart. Have you checked your dome thermo lately? Do you foil like in 2-1-1? If you don't foil and your thermo is a little off, I could see them taking 6 hours maybe. My spares usually run about 6 or 6 1/2 hours, but never that long for BBs.

Trickiest thing for me to get right is steaks, I almost always overcook compared to what I'm shooting for and I'm sticking the dang things with a Thermapen constantly. :laugh:

Mark
  • GandolfGandolf Posts: 878
    Mark,

Calibrating thermometer was my first thought too. Did them indirect for 5 hours and 15 mins. Then direct while saucing for the last 45 mins. At least they tasted good :-).