Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp controllers and the newbie egger

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
its like walking into a fishing shop and seeing the newest shiney lure hanging on the wall, its expensive, it catches fishermen, it rusts in the box and never gets used. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the egg holds temp extremely well on its own, ive never had it fail on an overnight, how does one know if the fans still turning at 2 in the morning, i would have to get up and look :) you guys that dont fish have no idea what im talking about :laugh:
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Kind of like going to a BBQ store and buying a $700 Big Green Egg (a lot more with the necessary accessories), when a $250 Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker (go to any BBQ competition and teams win with them all the time) will do what most people want anyway.

I will never judge those who want to bye those "shiney" lures. To each their own. I love my Stoker. Guess I'm just too lazy or maybe I just value my peace of mind it gives me. Regardless, I love it.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I totally get your analogy. However, for a 16 hour burn, I would have big problems trying to keep it at a constant temp. Every time I've done an over night burn, in the morning, the fan is running much more than when I went to bed.

I know that stacking the lump properly is very important, but to tell you the truth, the Digi Q just does a wonderful job of maintaining the temp. $25 for a hunk of meat is too much to risk losing if it ran high. I suppose if the fire went out, I could eat a PB&J instead of the long anticipated brisket or pulled pork sandwich. But, I don't want that.
  • briderman
    briderman Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Newbie here just got my large egg on friday 8th july
    Really am struggling to bring temp down to smoke over night , i light it and wooosh up goes the temp and i shut the vents down but it then went out over night , any help would be great .....cheers eggheads in advance

Briderman
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The egg without a controller works just fine and will hold the temperature without assistance. In the beginning I did buy a dual probe monitor and used it for the alarm purposes. If I use the DigiQ only, I also use the Maverick ET-732. No need to use the 732 when using the Stoker.

I have had a vertical burn and lost the meat with using the egg bare. I have also had a vertical burn and lost the meat using a DigiQ. Lighting the fire was the key to resolving the problems in both cases.

I prefer using my Stoker on longer cooks if for nothing else I can watch the different temperatures progress through the cook.

When I use my DigiQ I usually have it monitored by the Stoker for the same reason as above. I do use both when I am doing dual egg cooks.

GG
  • fishlessman
    Options
    what you need to do is bring the temps up slowly and hold them at the desired temp, its alot harder to bring temps down and when you do that you overshoot and cut off the air supply. each egg is a little different, seems one of mine likes 250 with the lower vent opened about a 1/16 inch and the other likes a 1/4 inch, i set both daisy wheels open about the thickness off a toothpick.
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your egg.

Fire going out could be to a vertical burn, that is fire out and unburnt lump all around the outside of the fire box. Light the lump bed in several places.

Or, possibly you didn't load enough lump in the egg.

Your temperature variations can be corrected by letting the egg stabilize before putting the meat on the egg.

Don't keep playing with the vents, only adjust one vent at a time and wait - you can't catch two rabbits at the same time (at first anyway).

These two links should be of help.

Visual Guide to Vent Settings

FAQ: Tips and Helpful Informaiton

GG
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I never get up and look when using my guru. It has never failed. Just set it and I have peace of mind. Just have to check my meat temps as mine does not monitor that on it's own. I have to bother myself to poke it with a probe. LOL. Still, the meat takes the same approx times as it used to so when it gets close you have to start checking.

I also find that it burns less lump when using a controller. Maybe it's my imagination, but I'm guessing it's due to more of a controlled environment with less heat escaping through the top vent.

Get one. It will be like when you first used a white tube jig for bass and had your best day of fishing ever. Love it.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think you have answered my question, i have no mind :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: heres one done direct(against the rules)no controller, went to bed, woke up, fished during a hurricane, yep, no mind, came home to pulled pork :) now i dont always fish thru hurricanes, but i would worry about my controller out in the rain, maybe even worry abot 110 volts running thru my body as i stand in the puddle checking on things.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    im going to have to try one of those white tube jigs :laugh: i think egging came natural to me because i dont even own a watch, never have, never will :)
    fukahwee maine

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    funny,

Once the temp is stable and the cook is going I don't check the egg until I get up the next morning.....

I think if you want one get it and use it....but I also believe folks should master the temp control first....
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    First post. Don't have the Egg just yet saving up to get mine in a couple of weeks. The information in this link was great and needed. Is there a search fucntion on this fourm for common questions? I would hate to ask a question you have seen a thousand times if there is place to find answers. Thanks
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm new to the forum myself, and have only had my large egg for 1-2 wks; however, just playing with it the first time or two taught me more than anything else with regard to controlling temp, etc. Now I pretty much know how to set the vents/daisy for the desired range. Of course there will always be some tweaking, but after one or two sessions, you will likely have a reasonable idea of how yours behaves, and so forth. Good luck, and by the way, my wife has already been telling everyone how great the food is--I guess that's her way of hinting that she wants to be cooking less often! :(
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    im going to have to try one of those white tube jigs :laugh: i think egging came natural to me because i dont even own a watch, never have, never will :)
    That's a sure fire recipe for success. You know, things happen and the meat cooks - the more you worry the worse it SEEMS, the less you worry the better it is.
    I confess I'm too much of a process guy rather than a results guy when it's the result that counts.
    Chill a little (lot)
    Enjoy
    Decide whether using gadgets adds or relieves stress.

Fwiw I'm more likely to use my guru during the day when I'm out and about, I just know the temps will be ok overnight!
  • egganator
    egganator Posts: 18
    Options
    I have electronic lures as well as the fantastic Stoker. How can you tell if the fan it not running? A nice loud alarm comes on and wakes yer butt up. I have the latest wireless Stoker and keep the laptop next to my bed, it will wake you up. Has it? No. do I need the stoker? No. I guess I just like technology and the confidence it gives me.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey fish. I see you are fishing. :laugh: :woohoo:
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I am by no means as experienced as others but temperature control is something that si learned and the toys might help but.... I would buy the micro adjuster it makes adjusting for slo cooks much easier to remember your settings and make small adjustments. I was told when I got my egg to watch it start. When the temp gets near your desired temp start to shut the vents. I like ti keep the top vent at the same opening and just adjust the lower vent. It's my way but moving top and bottom vent you don't know which is working. Just start a fire with no food and play with temp control. It's a learning curve. Keep notes and the next cook it will be easier.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    ATC devices like the stoker I use are the reason I have the time for slow cooks. Between a wife and a baby, there's too much going on to worry about the egg temp. The ability to leave the egg and go to the zoo it pool for several hours on a weekend without worry is well worth it.