Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No-foil ribs - nice texture, good bark

Options
edaly
edaly Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All the top rib recipes seem to recommend foiling, and I myself had good results with foiling on my second try at ribs on the BGE. But I wanted to see if I could get pull-apart tenderness and a nice bark with just smoking.

Here's what I did:

- Applied dry rub to baby backs the night before:

5925621596_4139dfc8f5_z.jpg

(Recipe is from a fave BBQ restaurant in my hometown - Memphis Blues in Vancouver. This dry rub has a lot of parsley and some oregano too - link: http://buddhabellies.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/memphis-blues-dry-rub/)

- Tried to get the BGE stable at 250 but it didn't seem to want to go that low after I had just had it cranked high for searing some tuna. In the end it was around 350 when I put on some water-soaked apple wood chunks and tightened up the vents even more, finally getting it down to around 275F

- Put ribs on grill grate above upturned plate-setter with a pan of water/juice underneath. More sacrilege, I know, but the whole idea of foiling is that the ribs steam inside the foil so I was trying to keep it moist enough inside the egg to get the same tenderness. I also cut the rack in half so I wouldn't have some ribs hanging over the open areas around the plate-setter where the heat is higher.

5925615672_98fb6763bc_z.jpg

- Smoked at ~250F for about 8 hours. I was away at work the entire time, and my wife later confessed that she opened up the vents a bit too much when she saw the temp drop to around 220, so the BGE got up to around 300F for about an hour.

And the final result:

5925582932_f8877c2b08_z.jpg

Overall I'm fairly happy with they turned out. Critically, the texture was right on - **for the meaty part of the rack**. These ribs were moist, falling off the bone, and with a nice crisp, thick bark.

However the other half of the rack, which had a lot less meat were a bit too tough - they probably should have come off quite a bit earlier.

Looking forward, I'd like to try this approach again and improve on it, but I'm guessing I'll have to either buy ribs that have a very even meat distribution (hard to find), or start the thinner ribs later in the smoke.

Comments

• Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    I think these are the #1 "Go To" method here...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1207

No foil, no muss, no fuss.

I think your biggest challenge was bringing a VERY hot Egg down to rib temp. Car Wash Mikes recipe/method seems to always be a success. You'll do even better next time!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The "3-2-1" foled method was very popular among forum members a few years ago. I was still learning to use the Egg, and found it to be a pretty much fool-proof method for good ribs. However, I prefer dry ribs, and the method tended to make gooier than I like.

So I have done my ribs unfoiled for the past few years. It might be my imagination, but a steady temperature seems to help. After the meat has drawn back from the bone ends, usually around 3.5 hours, I baste very lightly with a neutral oil. Once the meat begins to bend easily, maybe another 1.5 hours, I baste lightly with water, and add another light dusting of rub.

Thickness does have an impact. I did 2 slabs last weekend where one was maybe a half pound heavier than the other. Being a little late for dinner, I boosted the temperature to 275 in the last half hour for it, but it was still a little tougher.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I have done it both ways a lot of times, but foiling the ribs is my go to method now (Babybacks 2-1-1 or St Louis 3-2-1).

There is a reason the top BBQ competition guys like Myron Mixon and Johnny Trigg foil their ribs. It works and they have won countless national/world competitions doing it this way. Most of the teams foil (most meaning over 75%). The BGE forum is the only forum I have seen that makes it sound like someone is being lazy by foiling their ribs. Kind of strange. Anyway, I know what works and I know what the big boys do, and I will stick to that.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I foil my ribs for the most part. I've done it without as well, but foiling is my "go to" method. I have no shame in that. They turn out fantastic!

I also use a drip pan with juice or water. I also do this with my butts. I find no shame in that either. LOL. Nice looking ribs. AS long as you like them and you have fun making them, who cares how it's done.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Thanks for the validation-I'm a Memphis style fan and have been wrestling with the no foil program as I didn't foil in my old water/gasser life. It does take longer and more patience but I'm for letting the BGE do the work and the less I have to intervene in a cook, the better.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Looks good! I hate foil, it tastes icky to me. I put my ribs on and leave the lid closed for 5 or 6 hours. The Egg takes care of the moisture, don't need liquid in the drip pan. Smoke, rub, sometimes a little sauce at the end. Works for me.