Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butts - Pic Heavy

Options
Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got my July 4th pics out of the camera. This was my first low and slow. I have to say (again) the Egg is an awesome cooking machine. After years of smoking on a Bandera (checking/loading wood every half hour, burning $20 worth of wood for long cooks), it was such a pleasure to just load the Egg, stabilize the temp, and let it go.

Here is what I did...

Feature attractions where brisket and butts
101_1815.jpg

I just trimmed the brisket a bit, taking out the hard fat in the fold, the rest left intact.
101_1818.jpg

Coated with Fiesta brisket rub I get at HEB. Going to have to start trying some different rubs, but this has proven to be tasty.
101_1819.jpg

Wrapped and ready for the fridge. Those industrial plastic wrap rolls with the little cutter on them are one of the greatest inventions of all time. :)
101_1820.jpg

Pork butts ready for prep. As they come 2 in a pack, I try and get a couple that are roughly the same size. Was not too successful this time.
101_1821.jpg

Slathered with mustard
101_1822.jpg

Rub applied, once again Fiesta Pork rub from HEB
101_1823.jpg

Wrapped and ready for the fridge
101_1824.jpg

Place on the Egg at ~8PM (turns out that was WAY to early). Brisket on the bottom, butts on top.
101_1825.jpg

Now the waiting. Dome temp was rock solid at 250
101_1826.jpg

I set my alarm for 4AM to check the temps. To my surprise the small butt was already done (actually a bit over done). The prob I had stuck in this thing was a cheapie that I have had for a while, once it hits the temp, it just flashes the temp (195). I pulled the thing, then wrapped it in foil and in the ice chest.
101_1827.jpg

Minus 1 butt
101_1828.jpg

Brisket
101_1834.jpg

Ready to dive in!
101_1835.jpg

Also made some beans, they were a big hit!
101_1829.jpg
101_1830.jpg

Some sausage
101_1831.jpg

And some Teriaki shrimp in bacon
101_1832.jpg
101_1833.jpg

All in all it was a great feast. The brisket was not quite as tender as I'd like on the flat end, but about 2/3s of it was perfect. The smaller butt was a bit dry, but the larger one came out perfect.

All of this was cooked on 1 load of lump. That is amazing, there was still about a 1/4 of the firebox with lump after it was all said and done.

I have been thinking of a temp controller, but the way the Egg performed, I'm not sure how necessary that is. Once it was stabilized at 250, it held that perfectly until I pulled the meat and started some minor adjustments for the other items.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Those are some great looking shots.

That's celebrating the 4th in style. Would have loved to taste those eats.

GG
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    That's an awesome series of cooks you managed. Well done! I just love brisket...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Great feast!

Those beans look really interesting, can you share the recipe?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks! As for the beans, after reading a bunch of recipes I figured I could just kind of throw my own together I used:
    6 15 oz cans of some kind of ranch style beans, dumped them in a colander and rinsed all the sauce off.
    1 lb bacon, diced and cooked until crisp.
    1 lb Maple Pork Sausage, browned
    1/2 cup of my home made BBQ Sauce
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 medium diced onions, sauteed in the drippings from the bacon until opaque
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 tsp mace
    1/4 tsp allspice
    Garlic powder (I wanted to use garlic, but the head was spoiled when I pulled it from the pantry)

Mixed in a bowl, then transferred to the aluminum pan. Cooked in the Egg at ~350 for about 1 1/2 hours.

Wife said they were the best beans ever. :)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Austex_Egger wrote:
    Thanks! As for the beans, after reading a bunch of recipes I figured I could just kind of throw my own together I used:
    6 15 oz cans of some kind of ranch style beans, dumped them in a colander and rinsed all the sauce off.
    1 lb bacon, diced and cooked until crisp.
    1 lb Maple Pork Sausage, browned
    1/2 cup of my home made BBQ Sauce
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 medium diced onions, sauteed in the drippings from the bacon until opaque
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 tsp mace
    1/4 tsp allspice
    Garlic powder (I wanted to use garlic, but the head was spoiled when I pulled it from the pantry)

Mixed in a bowl, then transferred to the aluminum pan. Cooked in the Egg at ~350 for about 1 1/2 hours.

Wife said they were the best beans ever. :)

Look forward to trying them, thanks for the recipe.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Looks like a great smoke cook. Could you post the beans recipe? I'm lookign for a good one.
  • Pete21784
    Pete21784 Posts: 14
    Options
    Awesome cook. Everything looks wonderful! Nice job!