Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BBQ chicken

au4040au4040 Posts: 1
edited 2:20PM in EggHead Forum
Hello all, newbie on the forum but about a year into the Egg world. Somehow this was the first whole chicken I've cooked on it. Turned out REALLY well but I had a few questions.

Background info:
3.75 pound bird, brined for 4 hours, marinated in rub for 1 hour, plate setter, hickory and pecan smoke, 325 degrees for 1.5 hours.

1) The skin turned out some serious spicy flavor, not quite bark texture but still crispy - but I had a problem with it falling away from the pieces of chicken as I sliced. I'm sure that's a good sign of tenderness but anything I can do to keep it together?

2) The inside parts of the legs did not cook as well as the rest of the bird. Never flipped. Should I have flipped?

Thanks for the tips.

photo-4.jpg

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    When I cook dark meat parts I go 350 indirect for about 90 minutes until the internal temp reached 195. Not sure that would work for a whole bird as the white meat may dry out. Would recommend a thermapen as internal temp is the best way to know when your meat is done. -RP
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,897
    I am in the cook direct club and spatchcock the bird. Cook at 400 raised.
    Bird will take a little less than an hour but cook to temp please.
    I sauce the bird in the last 15 min.
    Do not brine myself, but if have the time leave in fridge uncovered overnight.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• field handfield hand Posts: 420
    I'm in the raised direct cook group for chicken. Usually 375-400*. Flip it a few times and the skin will get crispy. Also agree that a good thermometer is a must, suggest you get a Thermapen. A good investment.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
    Can'r really help with the sliding skin issue. I think that is just the way it is. :) Since I tried spatchcocking chicken, there is no better way. rasied grill, 400 (just did one last night). Although I've only had my Thermapen for a couple of weeks, I don't know how I ever lived with out it.