Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day #1 with BGE: Awesome

Options
vonbonds
vonbonds Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So in another thread I showed my first ever BGE meal cooked, boneless chicken thighs. For dinner we just made some beer brats as described here many times, simmering in beer with chopped onion for ~20 minutes then finished off on the BGE. Maybe it is just us elated we have this new "toy" but we swear the food tastes better when cooked on the BGE :). Here is a pic of the brats, they were delicious!

P7101085-XL.jpg

So it is official, we are in love with our BGE and I can't wait to cook our next meal on it!!!

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I also thought that the food tasted better because of the "new toy". The more and more I cook on it the more I am convinced the egg has improved my cooking. Plus the wife says my cooking has went to another level. She even thinks the egg was worth the cost now. :woohoo:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

but first, those are nice looking brats there. I think we will cook some tomorrow.

Well now for the bad news first. Eating out isn't going to be as much fun or enjoyable as it used to be.

The good news, after thousands of cooks, I agree, the food tastes better when done on the egg.

There is only one thing better than cooking an egg...

that's cooking of 2 eggs.

Congratulations, nice to read your excitement. Here are some brats done direct on the mini (my 4th egg - just he wife and I here).
    bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

and a little comfort food just to let you know it can be done on the egg too.

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

I just don't enjoy tuna melts done anywhere else any more, same with toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Awesome pics, Kent :woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Welcome to the cult....errr....club :laugh:

I smile every time I read a post like this because it brings back memories from 3 years ago when I got mine. Things only keep getting better!

Enjoy and keep up the good work.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Eating out isn't going to be as much fun or enjoyable as it used to be.

While I agree with the rest of the post, this was the most poignant and pithy portion. Absolutely 100% agree. Once you cook properly on an egg, eating out just won't be the same. Hate to admit it but I've become somewhat of a "bbq" snob since personally, I feel I can cook any barbecue far better on my egg than I can get in any restaurant (when I was in Texas, that was an opinion... now that I'm in Scotland, it's a FACT!! hehe)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Tom,

When the first thing you think of in the morning, at the very moment you open your eyes, is what's for dinner....don't worry. It's normal. :laugh: :woohoo:

Two things I wish I had done was organize my pics in photobucket and keep a 'cooks log book' to remember what the heck has gone'on. :P In the end all the foods better so who gives a hoot, :)
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Eating out isn't going to be as much fun or enjoyable as it used to be.

I agree, I used to enjoy eating at Famous Dave's but now when it is suggested we go there I can't bring myself to do it. Nothing is as good as food on the EGG.
  • vonbonds
    vonbonds Posts: 22
    Options
    Adam,

I am already keeping a photo journal of each item I cook with a brief description on how I prepared and cooked it.

http://lewisfamilyphotos.smugmug.com/Cooking/BigGreenEgg

Now, what's for dinner??? :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great, Tom. You will soon find out that everything does taste better on the egg, its not just because you have a new toy that you think that, it really does. Welcome to the cult, you are on your way to becoming an egghead for sure.

Here's a pic of my brat from Friday's lunch topped with sauerkraut and pulled pork. It was delish!

IMAG0197.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tom your wife is going to say: "put the damn camera down so we can eat".
    They all do :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.