Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

27 hour smoke!

tbk420
tbk420 Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I decided to take the Egg on a marathon. 12.5 lb chuck roast:

imag0276z.jpg

Slathered with some horseradish mustard and DP Cow Lick, and in the frig overnight:

imag0278u.jpg

On the Egg, with a mix of hickory and pecan:

imag0280j.jpg

I double foiled at 160. Pulled at 204, a full 27 hours later:

imag0281y.jpg

imag0283b.jpg

Defatted the juices and added back, and mixed in some apple BBQ sauce. Put it back on, uncovered, with some plum wood for about 1.5 hours more.

Final product was so delicious!

imag0284c.jpg

Here is the amazing thing - after almost 30 hours at 240 dome, this is what my lump looked like at the end:

imag0285t.jpg

Words cannot describe how much I love my Egg - truly incredible! :woohoo:

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's looks great.

that's pretty impressive about the lump.
    context is important :)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Very nice and I like the long slow cooks, were you using a large Egg or??? That's a lot of meat so are you freezing some later???

Thanks and have a great week,
    Bordello
  • tbk420
    Bordello wrote:
    Very nice and I like the long slow cooks, were you using a large Egg or??? That's a lot of meat so are you freezing some later???

Thanks and have a great week,
    Bordello

It was on the L. I vac seal a lot of the leftovers for football tailgates at PSU in the fall. ;)
  • Wings
    Wings Posts: 20
    I am new Egg Owner and have a question on temp ?.

If the normal cooking temp for Beef med well is 155 internal. How do you decide to take it off at 204 ???
  • LDD
    it's a tougher cut of meat. although it will be cooked at that temp. the texture will not be enjoyable(tough to chew). The meat has to be taken to the higher temp to break down the collagen, in order to end up with a tender piece of meat.
  • Wings
    Wings Posts: 20
    So, is there some rule of thumb on the right temp to cook to ?

thanks
  • tbk420
    Wings wrote:
    So, is there some rule of thumb on the right temp to cook to ?

thanks

When pulling it, take pork butts to at least 195.

Chuck has a bit more connective tissue, so I shoot for 205-210. Had to pull a tiny bit early because of time constraints.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    It really depends on the cut of meat you are cooking. Meats like brisket, boston butts, ribs have to be cooked to higher temps for longer times to render the fat and make them delicious.
  • LDD
    for typical more tender cuts (steaks) cook them to your liking.

For tougher cuts of meat, you definitely want to take it up to the higher temps. I think beli posted a very colorful image once. I'll take a quick look for it.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    What kind of lump were you using? do you start fire from top or bottom? That is unreal that it doesn't even look burned at all after that long....

I can run 230 on butts and after 20 hours I will have about 1/4 of a bowl left to burn.

Unreal wow
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Pulled Chuck Roast is my absolute favorite meat on the egg. Nice cook!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• egganator
    egganator Posts: 18
    Is my favorite as well, try this recipe, it will be a hit, call it pepper stout beef, it will make the top of yer head sweat.

4lb - Chuck Roast
    2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
    1 - Big Red Onion sliced
    3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
    6 - Garlic Cloves mince
    1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
    Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on the egg indirect in the 245º-260º range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165º.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.