Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Analog vs Digital Temps...

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many back up their main temp info with another from the opposite camp i.e. digital vs analog? Confessions up front-I like the remote functions of digital but at "crunch time" I do use the old trusty (calibrated) analog thermo to finish anything off. Too old school here-or what?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I just calibrate semi- regularly, once a month, and analog is great, but for meat internal, calibrated digital can' be beat.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    For the most part I always use my thermapen and it has the final say in most of my cooks. ;) Sometimes I check the temp them check for tenderness with a probe or some sort of way.

000_2598.jpg

000_1916.jpg

000_1915.jpg

000_1806.jpg
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Options
    At this point, I have to say the thermometer has a LARGE role in the final say so. But,there is nothing better than trusting your abilities along with that. If you are 2 degrees off, what does that really mean?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If your grilling steaks or tender loins...it can make somewhat of a difference it depends on what you are cooking. If you smoking a Boston butt and you want to pull your butt when your internal temp reaches 195F to 205F 2 degrees won't make that much of a difference.