Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie egghead needs help!

golfguy
golfguy Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggers,

So I finally moved to a house with the space for an egg and I purchased on last weekend. I decided to try loin back ribs yesterday and and a 7lb pork butt today. Both had great flavor, taste, and remained moist. However, both seemed overly tough, especially the pork butt. I tried to do a lot of reading and "youtubing" before I did my first cook. I realize there is a learning curve, but I thought that would be more directed towards temp manipulation. I had no problem achieving and maintaining the temperatures I wanted. Here is what I did...

Ribs:

250deg over the plate setter for 3 hours.
90 mins at same temp wrapped in foil with apple juice
couple mins each side for saucing.
Smoked over apple and hickory chips.

7lb Pork butt:

250-275deg for 9 hours over the plate setter. Minimal opening (maybe twice) of top and smoked over a mix of apple and hickory chips.

Any expert advice for an expert wanna be?? :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    First off...I'm no expert on anything....90 minutes in foil for any ribs is entirely to long...45 is a safer number..
    the butt you say you cooked for 9 hours at 250-275...what was the internal temp when you decided it was done???? it realistically should have taken 12 to 14 hours at those "dome" temps..
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    To what internat temp did you cook the butt? Time alone will rarely do it. Cook to your target temp, on butts that is 195-200 if you want it tender & pullable.
    Welcome abord ask anything you want & good eggin to ya.
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    I can't speak for the butt, but I will offer my 'opinion' for the ribs. I only take my meat off for the final rest when I determine it to be done. AFTER the sauce and such has performed their magic, I will wrap in foil to rest before serving. I would think that some overcooking would happen by putting the meat back on after wrapping. I have seen a couple of these vids calling for more cooking after wrapping and juice being introduced, but I am sure it's not an accurate story.
    Just my opinion.
  • golfguy
    Wess:

I thought I read somewhere that the foil part of the process was meant to tenderize the ribs. That is why I kept them in a bit longer.

For the butt, I dont have an internal meat therm yet. I cooked a few pork butts in my oven previously using a similar methodology, so I figured it would transfer over.... guess not, haha
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Butts usually take 1.5-2 hours per pound at 250 dome. The temp of the meat when you take it off should be 190-200. What was the temp when you pulled it off?
  • WessB
    your comments are rather confusing to read...you should always put ribs back on the egg after removing from the foil...would love some clarification as your posts tonight are rather difficult to decipher...you need to understand that the typed word is difficult to interpret from the original intent....
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    I forgot the first important thing the Egg taught me, Time in this cooker DOES NOT COMPARE to other cookers. My prime rib was 2 hours early compared to others.
  • WessB
    meat is all about internal temp...if you're cookin a butt you aint bakin a cake..and yes the foil does tenderize ribs..but at 90 minutes you should have had rib soup..
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    You did remove the membrane on the ribs?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    First,calibrate your dome thermometer.I do not care if it is new,check it by inserting the tip into a pot of boiling water(it should read 212).Second,NEVER cook to time,ALWAYS cook to internal temp.Get yourself a GOOD instant read thermometer and check whatever meat you are cooking for internal temp.A pork butt should take 1.5 -2 hours per pound at 250 dome.The internal temp should be 195-205 for pulled pork.Be sure to remove the meat from cooker and let it "rest" before pulling.Minimum 30 mins. ;) You'll get it.Keep on EGGIN!
  • WessB
    "Time"....in any cooker doesn't matter...internal temp is what determines doneness...
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    The best advice I received from the forum is don't cook by time. Always monitor the internal temp and tell everyone standing around, it will be ready when it's ready. As far as the ribs, I use the tooth pick test.
  • golfguy
    Wess:

Sorry for the confusion. I did put the ribs on after the foil, for approximately 5 mins each side (just long enough to sauce them).
  • golfguy
    I calibrated the dome thermometer after the pork butt today. It read 212 on the dot... I will def get an internal meat thermometer this week.
  • WessB
    personally for baby backs or loin backs I do 3 hours then 45 minutes in the foil then 30 minutes out of foil to start checking doneness by the bend test...sometimes it's 45 minutes after the foil sometimes it's an hour...I like to sauce 15 minutes per side at the end...this is merely "my" preference..you need to learn what you like best and stick with that..we all have different tastes..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Adam, you are on the right track as far as cooking temps but, you didn't finish the ribs and the butt.

The ribs will be done when they are tender. I check for tenderness using a tooth pick and feel the resistance or the bend test. If you pick up the slab of ribs with your tongs and they bend over you can see how tender your ribs are getting.

007.jpg

You see how the meat shrinks on the bone.

000_2505.jpg

Here is the bend test I think it is bending over pretty far. I think I will cut one off and try it. :P

000_2504.jpg

Now the butt cook again you had the temp right but, you should cook them to 195F to 205F internal temp for pulled pork.

100_3355.jpg

I use a maverick et-73 for a remote pit and food probe now updated to an et-732.

100_3354.jpg

I use a thermapen for the final say.

Here I an checking the temp of a butt that has been in a cooler for a long time.

000_2598.jpg

Hope this helps you. Tim :)
  • golfguy
    Dave- Yes, I removed the membrane. Anyone have any suggestions on a good cooking technique for ribs?
  • golfguy
    Tim,

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely get a meat thermometer this week. I just cant believe after almost 5 hours (1.5 in foil with apple juice), they weren't tender...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Looks like there is a lot of advice above. It sounds to me you didn't cook long enough. Cook to proper temperature and tenderness, not time.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    Adam here is a link to a rib cook by the late carwash Mike. If you have any questions about this cook ask here on the forum most all of us knew him and his technique.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html
  • golfguy
    Tim,

Thanks for all your advice. When I get a meat thermometer to use for my pork butt, and try to apply the "carwash Mike" technique, I will hopefully have some nice photos to post on here.

One last question...

When I took the pork butt off today, the ends seemed to be almost crispy and burnt. Is this normal? I only ask because it seems as though I didnt cook it long enough... If I left it on like I should have, what should the butt look like? Sorry if thats a dumb question...
  • Pete21784
    Pete21784 Posts: 14
    For what it is worth; 250 for pork butts. When you reach 160 internal temp, remove and foil, then back on till either 190-200 internal temp. If 190, take off and wrap again with foil, wrap in a towel and put in a small cooler and let rest for 45 minutes. As you do this, the internal meat temp will rise slightly as well. Foiling at 160 will help reduce the time it will take to get to 190-200 as the butts will plataeu at this temp (160) and it can take much longer to reach 190-200 if you do not foil them. Ribs - I usually do 250 for 2 hours, foil for 1 hour, do the bend test before you unfoil, then unwrap and sauce and set sauce from anywhere from 25-40 minutes (depending on temp).
  • 2Fategghead
    I use a lot of sugar in my butt rub and when done my butt is dark.

My setup is a cleaned out egg full of lump and plate setter and drip pan and grid. I foil line my drip pan for easy cleanup. I also try to keep my butt from sticking out past the plate setter while smoking.

000_2597.jpg
  • dwbeck
    dwbeck Posts: 7
    I smoke at 200 t0 220 and a 9 punder would take at least 12 hours. The slower the better.

The loin at same temp. Why the apple juice?