Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for GREAT Eastern NC Sauce

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys, been watching Diners, Drive-ins & Dives all BBQ and got a hankering for some eastern NC (Where I'm From) BBQ vinegar based sauce - hit me with your best

Thanks much,
Doug

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one. Send me your real email if you want some variations.

Sauce, BBQ, Eastern North Carolina

Here's my recipe for a Vinegar based sauce for Pulled Pork when I'm not using Scott's BBQ Sauce.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 Tbs Sea Salt
    1 Tbs Turbinado Sugar
    1/2 tsp Ground Chipotle - McCormicks
    4 Dried Cayenne peppers, split & stemmed

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least ½ a day, but the longer the better. It's best used in plastic "Ketchup Style" squirt bottle you can pickup at the grocery store for about a buck.

Recipe Type
    BBQ Sauce/Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, GrillMeister, 2005/04/14
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Doug, I try never to reply to threads about fieri (if you can't say anything nice....), but as long as it's about eastern nc Q, I can't resist. :) Here's what I use. Looks just like the stuff they serve at Wilber's in Goldsboro (my favorite Q - besides mine :)). Honestly, it's been so long since I been to Wilber's I can't say it tastes the same cuz I just can't remember. good though!

Looks like this...

461_025.jpg

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 ½ tbls cayenne pepper (can use less… or none)
    Salt and pepper to taste

ENJOY!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HarleyDoug
    Thanks Richard I do appreciate it - Haven't heard of Scotts Sauce I'm in Al. and will have to look for it
  • HarleyDoug
    Hey Michael, thanks much - I grew up in Swansboro,NC not too far from WIlbers - planning being back in NC in a week or two so need to run up there and get a bottle or two.

Thanks again,
    Doug
  • Carolina Q
    Cool! Do me a favor, please. Mix up some of mine and let me know how it compares. I really can't remember!! You can buy Wilber's online, but I never have. I just pour mine into the Wilbur's bottle I've had for years! :laugh: The label's getting a bit ratty looking. :)

http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com/merchandise.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HarleyDoug
    I'll be happy to IF I can remember that long LOL

Thanks again
  • Carolina Q
    u have crs too? haha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HarleyDoug
    don't remember what crs stands for but I can't remember s&#@ LOL
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    We use John Boy and Billy Cookin BBQ sauce - good stuff, tastes like the sauce you get at Parkers in Wilson.

http://www.southernconnoisseur.com/joboybicobbq.html

Regards,

Bill
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    The one time I made a vinegar sauce, I started with a recipe much like the above. I added a little squirt of both Dijon mustard and ketchup, plus a little Worcestershire sauce as I had seen those ingredients used in similar recipes.

It turned out great, my guests all loved it and kept going back to it instead of the sweeter sauces that we're raised with here on the west coast.

It was my first time even trying a vinegar BBQ sauce and I was very happy with the results!