Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickens With Corn

Options
dbruce2000
dbruce2000 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time doing whole chickens. 250˚ indirect with a little butter and rub. Apple wood for smoke. Took almost three hours to get to 165˚ in the breast. Nice and juicy!
chickenscooking.jpg

Took out the plate setter and brought it back up to 400˚ or so and did some corn on the cobb. A nice Oregon Pinot Noir and dinner was served!
attachment.jpg

db

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Looks Eggcellent! You can cook chicken at 350-375 on the egg w/ no fear of burning. You also might want to try "Spatchcock Chicken", do a search on here or look at the tutorial on the Naked Whiz site :):)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Nice tan on the bird. Looks great.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and very nice looking birds and corn.

I have cook chicken from very low temperature 225° to 500° dome. When I cook the bird to 165° internal it is always nice and juicy no matter the temperature. Spatchcock is good too but whole works fine for me.

I am going to test a 600° chicken cook in the next week or so.

The higher the temperature, obviously it's done quicker but the darker the skin.

Some time with some chicken parts or whole cook the chicken to 159° - 200°, with apple wood or cherry the flavor will be a much deeper BBQ flavor. The texture will be a little dryer but a real nice flavor - the cook is well worth the try.

If you like chicken give this a try sometime also.

Chicken, Potatoes and Onion

GG
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Looks wonderful, perfectly browned. That is my favorite way to cook corn.
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Beautiful color on the birds.
  • dbruce2000
    dbruce2000 Posts: 11
    Options
    Grandpa,

I would love to hear how the high temp chicken cook goes. The skin on mine was soft and rubbery?!?! I was hoping for crispy edible skin. I had a drip pan full of apple juice under it so I guess that kept if from getting crispy?

-db
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Hard to get crispy skin with indirect low temp cook on chicken. Might want to ditch the liquid in the drip pan as that also contributes to rubbery skin.

There are multiple ideas on crisping up the skin from leaving the chicken uncovered in the fridge overnight to allow it to dry out. Also pricking the skin in multiple sites to allow the fat to render out. I usually undermine the skin over the breasts and as far down on the thighs and drumstick as I can get my fingers without tearing a hole. Separating the skin seems to help and you can then add some rub under the skin at the same time.

From 'fishlessman' I have learned to build a small sized fire (less lump) and cook my chicken as high in the dome as it will fit, over a 350-400* direct fire. This maximizes the distance btwn the lump and the chicken, reducing the flare-ups from dripping fat. The closeness to the radiant heat from the dome really crisps up the skin.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Air dry in fridge a few hours+Cook high in the dome, 375-400=Crispy skin! Dry drip pan only, don't add moisture [steam]!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

400°
    chick400.jpg

500°
    chick500.jpg

600°
    Haven't done yet.

Lower temperature chicken looks a lot like yours but maybe not as nice.

GG
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Good looking yard birds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!