Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
dwbeck
dwbeck Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what temp and do I use the legs up or down?

Have a pizza stone. what do I use to make sure the dough does not stick?

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    legs up.
    temp varies 4-6 hundred...think of the egg as an oven when using an oven recipie.
    sprinkle corn meal on the pizza stone will keep the pie from sticking.
  • dwbeck
    Options
    Thanks
    Will report back
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I place the corn meal on my peel and make sure the pie is not sticking there. This way I do not have too much corn meal on the pizza stone.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • dwbeck
    Options
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Parchment Paper works really well!

SauerkrautPizzaa.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    dwbeck: Some people use the platesetter, legs down, green feet, then stone. Another option (which I prefer) is platesetter legs up, cooking grid, then pizza stone. I believe I get more even heat this way. So whichever you decide to try.

Also, you really don't need anything on your stone. Just make sure it is fully pre-heated before adding your pie. Put your set-up in the Egg for the entire time the Egg is coming to temp. We opt for 550*, and a typical pizza takes about 8 minutes.

Make sure you keep the pizza moving free on the peel while assembling. Just a little jiggle on occaision to keep your pie sliding. Have fun!
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I cook at 500 to start. I use parchment paper to slid it on the stone. After 4-5 minutes I take the paper off. Comes out great.
  • dwbeck
    Options
    Thanks to all for your assistance.

Great pizza by following your ideas. Good cripsy crust. Would take a picture but ate it before I thought of sending pics,
  • Wings
    Wings Posts: 20
    Options
    As a new egg owner (Large), I was wondering what size stone you got and from where ? I wanna try a pie soon ...

Thanks Tom