Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Pizza

dwbeckdwbeck Posts: 7
edited 6:49AM in EggHead Forum
what temp and do I use the legs up or down?

Have a pizza stone. what do I use to make sure the dough does not stick?

Comments

• WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    legs up.
    temp varies 4-6 hundred...think of the egg as an oven when using an oven recipie.
    sprinkle corn meal on the pizza stone will keep the pie from sticking.
  • dwbeckdwbeck Posts: 7
    Thanks
    Will report back
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    I place the corn meal on my peel and make sure the pie is not sticking there. This way I do not have too much corn meal on the pizza stone.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    thank you
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Parchment Paper works really well!

SauerkrautPizzaa.jpg
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    dwbeck: Some people use the platesetter, legs down, green feet, then stone. Another option (which I prefer) is platesetter legs up, cooking grid, then pizza stone. I believe I get more even heat this way. So whichever you decide to try.

Also, you really don't need anything on your stone. Just make sure it is fully pre-heated before adding your pie. Put your set-up in the Egg for the entire time the Egg is coming to temp. We opt for 550*, and a typical pizza takes about 8 minutes.

Make sure you keep the pizza moving free on the peel while assembling. Just a little jiggle on occaision to keep your pie sliding. Have fun!
  • tacodawgtacodawg Posts: 335
    I cook at 500 to start. I use parchment paper to slid it on the stone. After 4-5 minutes I take the paper off. Comes out great.
    Thanks to all for your assistance.

Great pizza by following your ideas. Good cripsy crust. Would take a picture but ate it before I thought of sending pics,
  • WingsWings Posts: 20
    As a new egg owner (Large), I was wondering what size stone you got and from where ? I wanna try a pie soon ...

Thanks Tom