Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I always was a thigh man! One of my best!

BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
edited 6:43AM in EggHead Forum
I saw a show where the chef deboned a turkey, leg-thigh combo and knew that I had to give that a try and it turned out fantastic!

I went to a farmers market and picked up a fresh leg-thigh and took my time to debone it.

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg2.jpg

Then I decided to stuff it with a ground lamb mix. I started with ground lamb seasoned like sausage and added an egg and some sun-dried tomatoes.

09-07StuffedTurkeyLeg4.jpg

Then I sauteed some shiitake mushrooms and shallots with garlic and used that to stuff the leg-thigh combo.

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg3.jpg

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg5.jpg

I shaped the leftover lamb into a loaf like a fattie and cooked them both on my small with some pecan for flavor.

09-07-11StuffedTurketyLeg7.jpg

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg8.jpg

That bad boy turned out real nice.

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg9.jpg

I added a caprese salad

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg6.jpg

and some Earthquake Zinfandel and had a really nice meal.

09-07-11StuffedTurkeyLeg10.jpg
·

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    That really good great! Wonderful idea. Thanks for the pics!
    Kent Madison MS
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    DAMMIT BOY! Me thinks you NAILED IT! :)
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Wow, what a beautiful and creative cook. Who would have thunk it, turkey stuffed with lamb.
    ·
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Mighty fine. Just bought a bunch of leg qtrs. Will follow your lead.
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Delicioso Bob, and healthy
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Looks great. :P
    ·
  • Very nice, BobS. Not only do you have serious knife skills, but I am liking your creativity.

Remember I love lamb, too!
    ·
  • Man that looks delicious! :P
    ·
  • Very Nice
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,315
    WOW. that is impressive and it looks good enough to eat :laugh:
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Thanks for the comments folks! This really turned out good and there is nothing hard about it if you have a reasonably sharp knife and take your time.

The lamb fattie was something I am going to do again too.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice meal Bob
    Great pics :)

Shane
    ·
    Bob,
    Was curious to what internal temp you cooked them to?
    Thanks,
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    bobbyb wrote:
    Bob,
    Was curious to what internal temp you cooked them to?
    Thanks,
    \

I cooked it to 160 internal in the center of the lamb stuffing.
    ·
  • nuynainuynai Posts: 101
    Did some turkey legs,indirect heat at 250% for 4 hrs. Got internal to 140 than wrapped in foil for 2 more hrs. to finish. Moist, juicy and wife loved them.
    ·
    Thanks, Bob. I was curious because I cooked a stuffed boned out chicken to 170, and thought it was a bit overdone. Will try 160 next time.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,065
    BobS wrote:
    Thanks for the comments folks! This really turned out good and there is nothing hard about it if you have a reasonably sharp knife and take your time..
    I tried fixing turkey legs in college as I was poor, but I had neither a sharp knife, nor any patience, and ate more oatmeal until I graduated. Beautiful, clean job you did!

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·