Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat Cap Down?

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to do my first Overnight Butt (11 lb), and I keep reading that many if not most of you seem to cook the Butt with the fat cap on the bottom. Why? Conventional thinking would want the fat to continually baste the Butt through the cook which it certainly won't do on the bottom.

Comments

• brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    That is how I have done them. Only egged 2 butts and both were fat side up. I also egg my briskets that way, same thinking, fat side up will bast the meat for the long cook.

I think it is just personnel preferance.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I may be the odd one here but I cut the fat cap off as there is plenty of fat in a butt to keep it moist plus I usually inject with 50/50 apple sauc and Captin Morgans spiced rum. :whistle: :woohoo: Also more surface area for the bark to form.

Other will chime in.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm almost 9 hours in and the temp is already 178°. I did it fat side up though there really wasn't all that much of a cap on it. Figured it would be a lot slower that it seems to be taking.

I like the idea of the Capt. Morgans... but apple sauce? Do you mean apple juice?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    No, I buy those packages of individual apples sauce so I don't end up throwing the leftover out. I mix the 2 together, pour into my injection unit and inject as much as the butt will hold.

The rum will thin out the apple sauce just fine.

Cheers,
    Bordello