Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I deserve to be horsewhipped

CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's only Saturday and I have already killed four very expensive rib eyes. They were edible and the flavor was okay, but it was like eating steak flavored pork chops. They were all very well done. :blush:

I bought some cheap rib eyes to practice on (a few weeks ago) and they came out great. They were just a bit over an inch thick, so I put the grate directly on the firebox and put them on for about two minutes a side (my wife likes her steaks CHARRED -- and medium on the inside). They were perfect!

Friday night my wife bought some expensive rib eyes at a butcher shop and as these were a lot thicker I decided to try a reverse sear. Got the temp up to about 275 and put the steaks on for about 8 minutes a side. The meat thermometer said the steaks were about 140 on the inside so I pulled them and wrapped them in foil. Then I moved the grill grate to the firebox and got the temp up to 750. Put the steaks on for 2 minutes a side and they were seared okay -- not enough for my wife -- but the inside was well done, with hardly any pink.

We bought some more rib eyes on Saturday so I could correct my mistake, but the grass fed beef was pricey and the steaks were not very thick. Was going to try TRex method but after the sear the steaks felt hard. They were, once again, dramatically overcooked. My wife seemed fine with them but I feel bad... Like I wasted $60... Which I pretty much did.

Hope I have better luck tomorrow with the 9 pound whole brisket my wife bought on Friday. I have a bad feeling...

Comments

• Man, you are Crazy Harry to want to be horse whipped! Get you a thermapen so you don't ruin any more meat and even with that you might overcook some once in a while. It is better to take them off early than late. You can't uncook them ;) . We all make mistakes.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I use a thermapen by thermoworks. I also use the maverick et-73 now improved et-732. Your cooks will improve greatly using them.

Have a great brisket cook. Tim :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do what Willy and Tim said. Get a thermapen by thermoworks, it will same you lots of money :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    OK heres your whipping
    whip.gif
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    We all make Mistakes???

Have 2 ex-wives that told me they were perfect so I had to ask them:

If you're so perfect why did you marry me???

Have a great Sunday,
    Bordello
    No sense of humor here :laugh: :whistle:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    for kicks and giggles you might just want to calibrated your dome thermometer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Ouch!, OTOH is was a learning experience :( (probably one you would like to pass up)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    First: I have found grass fed beef cooks faster than regular beef.
    Second: I do not reverse sear as I find one has too little control over the outcome. I always sear first.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Never try to TREX a steak that is less than 1.5 inches thick.Like others have said,get a GOOD instant read thermometer.Remember that after you remove the steak and rest it the internal temp will always rise some.Pull it off a little early,you can always throw it back on to cook a little more but like LTSC said.No one can uncook anything.Don't give up. :)
  • anyone calling for himself to be horse whipped needs a reply:

i have been learning how to cook on an XL and have figured out the rib eye...

i get the temp up to about 650,
    after treating them to the taste you like,

then put on for four (4) minutes a side, you can get fancy and do two (2) minutes then shift 90 degrees for grid effect,

flip after four minutes total, and do the same thing to the back side you did to the front....

after this four is up shut off air to bottom and top and hold for four minutes until you internal temp is up to what you want...

i pull at 135 to 140 and let them rest for about 10 to 15 minutes while i get the rest of the dinner pulled together...

It works out great...they are pink in center with some redness and done with char marks on the outside.

MY first try for my wife was a disaster she said they tasted like they were baked...so i added some smoke this time when i was turning them with small chips through the grate... to lazy to pull the grate for large chunks... (used hickory) and she loved them....

remember with steak you cook to internal temp not time....

use the time to set the char on the outside and then cook to internal temp to finish...i had a lot of help with mine from the forum...

Good luck and enjoy....

dont forget to fix some ABTs with your next steak...you'll never regret it....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• anyone calling for himself to be horse whipped needs a reply:

i have been learning how to cook on an XL and have figured out the rib eye...

i get the temp up to about 650,
    after treating them to the taste you like,

then put on for four (4) minutes a side, you can get fancy and do two (2) minutes then shift 90 degrees for grid effect,

flip after four minutes total, and do the same thing to the back side you did to the front....

after this four is up shut off air to bottom and top and hold for four minutes until you internal temp is up to what you want...

i pull at 135 to 140 and let them rest for about 10 to 15 minutes while i get the rest of the dinner pulled together...

It works out great...they are pink in center with some redness and done with char marks on the outside.

MY first try for my wife was a disaster she said they tasted like they were baked...so i added some smoke this time when i was turning them with small chips through the grate... to lazy to pull the grate for large chunks... (used hickory) and she loved them....

remember with steak you cook to internal temp not time....

use the time to set the char on the outside and then cook to internal temp to finish...i had a lot of help with mine from the forum...

Good luck and enjoy....

dont forget to fix some ABTs with your next steak...you'll never regret it....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Crazy Harry: This link may help you some,but you MUST get an internal thermo. You don't leave them in, you just poke when you think you're getting close. You can get one from Wally World or Target for about $15 by Taylor. Not a thermapen, but not bad, either!!! Pulling at 140*, you were already MORE than on your way to med-well. I like my steaks med-rare, and I pull about 115-120*. They climb during the rest. (The thermapen is the best, but if you can't swing the $100, get yourself a Taylor Instant read as mentioned above!)

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm

Also, I have been egging a number of years now, and have NEVER understood this "nuke" temp for sears,etc! I get my egg at 400*, open the dome, and cook some of the best steaks and chops of my life! When I do steaks or chops...400* stabilized, then cook dome open, unless I get a big flare up. Never been disappointed. (Though yes, I have overcooked a few, but RARELY!) You'll get it, and an internal probe themo will help GREATly!!! Don't give up, but don't overthink it, either! It's just a grill, and just a steak!! Forget all the reverse sear mumbo jumbo...(for now). Just grill some steak!! (When you are dealing with a 2+ inch steak, THEN think about reverse sear, or raised, etc...just get the basic 1" steak down first) Try a 400* egg next time, with the lid open. If the wife likes 'charred', make sure you have a super full load of lump. You'll get it!!