Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Vent Sticks

Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all...my egg is about a month old and since I bought it the bottom outer vent does not slide easily. It will open and close OK, but whenever I open it the inner mesh door opens with it. I cannot open it with just one hand. Any suggestions for a simple fix? Thanks!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry the track open a little bit :)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Use 2 hands...don't get much simpler than that...
    I have to when opening mine..obviously closing it doesn't require 2 hands...
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Mine does the same thing. Might have to try and pry open the slot a bit. Not a big deal, but would be nice to just open one door at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    What all the others said, but first get down and examine it closely - you may just have a slight dent or two in the track that occurred during assembly. All the pre-assembled doors I have seen in the last several years are very loosey goosey IMO, so your tight one tells me a ding or two has happened. BTW please report back!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Yeah, my wife's Egg sticks and has since we got hers last September. I kept thinking it would break in after use. I guess I'll have to get around to getting the flat head screwdriver out....one day :laugh:

Mine never has had a problem, it opens easily.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    My large is two weeks old vent has the same issue. Not a big deal I just use two hands and thought it was normal LOL.

Looks like I will get out the flathead and make some adjustments
  • So I tried to pry back the track with a flat head screw driver and no luck. It seems that the door is cut too wide for the track. Guess I'll have to adjust using two hands.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    or if you have some tin snips you can actually bend the stop tab down, remove the doors and trim the offending slider.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.