Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Offset Smoke Box Egg Cold Smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sp2.jpg
<p />I have received several requests for these pictures of this so this should help. Here is a picture of the cold smoking setup that I used for part of the winter. I have made quite a few improvements on this setup. I will try to post some pictures of the pressure cooker/hot plate smoke generator setup as soon as I can.[p]Ashley
[ul][li]Cold Smokin'[/ul]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Ashley®:[p]Thanks, we were just taking about this technique in the office yesterday. Your post and link are timely.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ashley®, Thanks for reposting that..Its always "timely"! I wonder, looking at the setup, if those without the small bge, could jury rig a short stack of bricks/blocks with a tin/aluminum sheet with a exhaust stubb, and route the smoke as your doing there. Just thought's and I fell on my kazoom with my pizza pottys..:-) Almost..I got one more try coming up on that one..:-)
    Cheers and keep up the good work...
    C~W[p]

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Ashley®,[p]Thanks for pictures. Can you elaborate what kind of temps are we talking about with this setup? (for both the host and the parasite) [p]DJM,[p]Thanks for the link.

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I am trying to get the digital working again so I can post my pressure cooker on a hotplate setup. This is really the way to go. I took a stainless pressure cooker I got from the thrift store and cut a hole in the top and inserted a stainless sink drain from a sink. This will give you a nipple to attach the connecting hose. This is then set on top of a cheap(thrift store) variable temp hot plate. This will generate cooler smoke for hours and is much cheaper than a second egg. The addition of about 10-12 tin cans of ice will really help cut down the heat. A bundt pan of ice will work very well also due to the hole in the middle.[p][p]
    Ashley [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Andy R.,[p]With the double egg set up you can average about 70° in the big guy with ice cans or a solid bundt pan of ice. The temp in the mini is around 125° - 140° and sometimes higher. When I was doing this I used charred wood charcoal and chunks of hickory that had been soaked in water. In an attempt to get the temperature even lower placed a few can of ice in the mini and that really helps get the smoke temp down. [p]
    Ashley

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ashley, your a whiz bang contraption builder.. I love your style. Dang good and original.
    Char-Woody
    I might share some thoughts with ya via e.mail!

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Ashley,[p]What has been your most successfull cold-smoked dish? I'm looking for a way to cold-smoke some salmon. Any opinions?[p]Thanks.[p]Andy R.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Andy R.,[p]Brother, I won't be much help you with salmon. I pretty much don't cook much fish that I don't catch myself and they we don't have 'em down in Florida yet. I'm sure that others could give you some direction on that. We pretty much do cured items like bacon, hocks, Canadian bacon, ham, cured picnic ham, and sausage. Of that my most sucessful is back bacon and smoked hocks. I like smoked mullet and have done it, but my uncle is the master of that. [p]Ashley