Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So my neighbor works for Tyson

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And every once in awhile he gets to order some prime filet. This time he asked me if I wanted any.

It came out to be right around $8/lb, so not a bad venture. He trimmed it, cut it in to steaks (mostly because I think he thinks since I'm a girl I can't be trusted to handle such an important piece of meat, but that's another day). Then when it was all over he used his KitchenAid to grind up the ends and some of the trimmings. Ended up with more steaks than I wanted to count at the time and two (1.25lbs each) of ground meat.

Mixed with a piece of bread soaked with milk and an egg yolk to hold it together because last time they just fell apart. Made 3 patties (with a little one for the K-9 kid).

IMG20110709172853-L.jpg

Then started some onion and mushroom in a skillet. Browned them up, added about a tablespoon of flour and cooked that in for a few minutes. Then deglazed (sp) with a mixture of Dale's sauce (sent from Alabama) and Newcastle Brown Ale.

IMG20110709172829-L.jpg

The sauce thickened up nicely, that Dale's is pretty dang salty though.

Swiss and a toasted bun. The cucumbers are an attempt to balance the healthfulness. :blush:

IMG20110709173925-L.jpg

It was an amazing burger. Just enough binding to hold them together for cooking this time, but still struggle a tiny bit. It dissolved on my tongue....incredible. Thanks Chuck!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    No milk next time Staci.
    Nice to have friends that share the love, or the madness....hahaha
    Nice meal!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Lucky you! You have a very nice neighbor....the burgers look great, and the sauce seems like a perfect touch! :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Staci, nice score and cook. A panade is a good idea when the meat to be ground is very lean or you like your burgers cooked well done, but you want juicy burger. For hamburgers I usually ditch the egg and just use the bread and milk or bread and chicken stock.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Nice burger, Staci. And a nice friend, too. Great price on the prime filet. You just made me hungry for chain burger!

They do make a lower salt Dale's, FYI.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    You got it going on girl. :P
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Nice neighbor you have there. Those burgers look great! You had me from mushrooms! ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    WOW!

Very nice cook.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    burger looks great.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    great looking burgers.. nice little story :)
    context is important :)
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I use Dale's quite a bit. You're right about the salt. I usually don't add any salt, because it's already in the Dale's. As someone pointed out, there is a low sodium version as well. Looked like a great meal!!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE