Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Knife question

LitLit Posts: 4,026
edited 7:00AM in EggHead Forum
I have been wanting a good 8-10" chef knife for a while now and am finally going to get one. I have several in mind and was looking for some input on one I am really leaning towards (Pic 2). Anyone have experience with a Takeda knife before? The main 2 I am considering are the 240mm standard Gyuto (Pic 1) and a variation of a Gyuto they are calling a Kiritsuke/Gyuto (Pic 2). I am also considering the new Zwilling Bob Kramer 8" chef but I don't really like how it looks. I have handled the Bob Kramers before and the handles are comfortable and fit my hand well. The Takeda will have to be ordered online so I will not have a chance to see how it fits me but the store allows exchanges. Also, is a 9.5" blade too much? Any other suggestions?

chefknivestogo_2166_35265520.jpg

chefknivestogo_2163_5996320.jpg
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,575
    From what I have read, kitisukes are some what difficult to handle. I do admit they look really cool.
    Perhaps go to the Knife forums Kitchen section, and read thru posts there.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/

The old Sabatier that I have been looking to replace for some years is 9". I would not go any smaller for a main knife.

I do have a couple of carbon steel knives. Having grown up with stainless, my habits are sloppy, and I've messed my carbon steel blades a couple of times.

I have a Hattori HD petty, and it rocks.It is a Damacus blade, and resistant to corrosion. I would add the brand line to this list.

Following is a list of recommended stainless or semi-stainless gyutous under $250 from the knife forum.

Aritsugu A-Type
    Kikuichi Performance TKC
    Ichimonji TKC
    JCK CarboNext
    Masahiro MV-B
    Fujiwara FKM
    JCK Kagayaki VG-10
    Masamoto VG
    Hiromoto Gingami No.3
    Togiharu G-1
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,026
    How hard are the carbon steel to care for? I have several other pretty nice knives but my go to knife is a 6" William Sonoma Bob Kramer chef. It gets wiped down within minutes of use always but thats about all the care it needs. I have read about having to oil the carbon steel, how often do you have to do that? I really want to get a knife that will hold an edge and will not have to be honed every time I use it and it seems like carbon steel is about the only option.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,575
    Carbons do need to be wiped down. They will develop a patina on their own, or a brief covering with a mildly acidic substance like mustard can be used to make a quick patina. The patina helps prevent rust. I have not come across anything that recommends oiling carbon steel.

There are other options to carbon steel. Among the knives I mentioned are a couple with VG-10 steel, and several that are semi-stainless. I have 2 VG-10 blades, and can attest to their rust resistance.

I mentioned the care issue because I tried using a stainless clad carbon steel knife as a steak knife. I left it sit for maybe 10 minutes after dinner, and found the edge almost ruined from the fat acids in the meat. Had to completely re-sharpen.

It is always good to use a honing steel. Any good knife has an edge fine enough that the metal will roll over during ordinary use. A few swipes with the steel remedies that.

I always steel my blades. My better VG-10 knives still have a good edge after several years, tho' the most used could stand a little work.
    ·
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    Dave in Florida wrote:

I pass by the entrance to Randall Knives a couple of times a week. I think that I need to stop in. Probably would be an expensive trip, though. :unsure: :laugh:

BOB
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    LC and I have purchased over 20 knives direct from Japan.
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/
    Great value and great selection.
    A Kiritsuke or Kiritsuke Hocho is a single grind multi-purpose kitchen knife with a diamond point. I would not recomend this knife. A Gyuto (translated: Cow Blade) is a true chefs knife with a double grind.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I have bought several knives (2 petty, chef (Gyuto), paring--all Damascus made--VG-10 and SG-2 steel--all handmade) from them and had a custom chef(Gyuto) knife made for me by Master Takeshi Saji through them (stunning/Stag bone handle/Damascus made). They are great to deal with and you can't beat the selection and quality of the knives. I love having quality, good looking knives that you can't buy from the major retailers.
    ·