Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife question

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been wanting a good 8-10" chef knife for a while now and am finally going to get one. I have several in mind and was looking for some input on one I am really leaning towards (Pic 2). Anyone have experience with a Takeda knife before? The main 2 I am considering are the 240mm standard Gyuto (Pic 1) and a variation of a Gyuto they are calling a Kiritsuke/Gyuto (Pic 2). I am also considering the new Zwilling Bob Kramer 8" chef but I don't really like how it looks. I have handled the Bob Kramers before and the handles are comfortable and fit my hand well. The Takeda will have to be ordered online so I will not have a chance to see how it fits me but the store allows exchanges. Also, is a 9.5" blade too much? Any other suggestions?

chefknivestogo_2166_35265520.jpg

chefknivestogo_2163_5996320.jpg

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    From what I have read, kitisukes are some what difficult to handle. I do admit they look really cool.
    Perhaps go to the Knife forums Kitchen section, and read thru posts there.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/

The old Sabatier that I have been looking to replace for some years is 9". I would not go any smaller for a main knife.

I do have a couple of carbon steel knives. Having grown up with stainless, my habits are sloppy, and I've messed my carbon steel blades a couple of times.

I have a Hattori HD petty, and it rocks.It is a Damacus blade, and resistant to corrosion. I would add the brand line to this list.

Following is a list of recommended stainless or semi-stainless gyutous under $250 from the knife forum.

Aritsugu A-Type
    Kikuichi Performance TKC
    Ichimonji TKC
    JCK CarboNext
    Masahiro MV-B
    Fujiwara FKM
    JCK Kagayaki VG-10
    Masamoto VG
    Hiromoto Gingami No.3
    Togiharu G-1
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    How hard are the carbon steel to care for? I have several other pretty nice knives but my go to knife is a 6" William Sonoma Bob Kramer chef. It gets wiped down within minutes of use always but thats about all the care it needs. I have read about having to oil the carbon steel, how often do you have to do that? I really want to get a knife that will hold an edge and will not have to be honed every time I use it and it seems like carbon steel is about the only option.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Carbons do need to be wiped down. They will develop a patina on their own, or a brief covering with a mildly acidic substance like mustard can be used to make a quick patina. The patina helps prevent rust. I have not come across anything that recommends oiling carbon steel.

There are other options to carbon steel. Among the knives I mentioned are a couple with VG-10 steel, and several that are semi-stainless. I have 2 VG-10 blades, and can attest to their rust resistance.

I mentioned the care issue because I tried using a stainless clad carbon steel knife as a steak knife. I left it sit for maybe 10 minutes after dinner, and found the edge almost ruined from the fat acids in the meat. Had to completely re-sharpen.

It is always good to use a honing steel. Any good knife has an edge fine enough that the metal will roll over during ordinary use. A few swipes with the steel remedies that.

I always steel my blades. My better VG-10 knives still have a good edge after several years, tho' the most used could stand a little work.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Dave in Florida wrote:

I pass by the entrance to Randall Knives a couple of times a week. I think that I need to stop in. Probably would be an expensive trip, though. :unsure: :laugh:

BOB
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    LC and I have purchased over 20 knives direct from Japan.
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/
    Great value and great selection.
    A Kiritsuke or Kiritsuke Hocho is a single grind multi-purpose kitchen knife with a diamond point. I would not recomend this knife. A Gyuto (translated: Cow Blade) is a true chefs knife with a double grind.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I have bought several knives (2 petty, chef (Gyuto), paring--all Damascus made--VG-10 and SG-2 steel--all handmade) from them and had a custom chef(Gyuto) knife made for me by Master Takeshi Saji through them (stunning/Stag bone handle/Damascus made). They are great to deal with and you can't beat the selection and quality of the knives. I love having quality, good looking knives that you can't buy from the major retailers.