Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newby platesetter question

JeffM
JeffM Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For my indirect setup on babyback ribs, Boston butt, and spatchcock chicken once, I have always used the platesetter legs up with a drip pan on top of it. ( By the way all the above came out super!) Now my question, when do you use the platesetter in a legs down configuration?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I put mine on legs down for pizza. I use three "feet" on top of it and then the pizza stone on the "feet." This give an air flow between the PS and the pizza stone.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    What BBQ said.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I never use my plate setter legs down.For baking(pizza/bread),I still use the plate setter legs up/grid/then pizza stone on the grid :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    i do it that way for pizza. legs down, spacers, then pizza stone. spacers can be the green feet, copper plumbing fittings, balls of aluminum foil, whatever.

can also use this config for baking. cake, brownies, bread, lasagna, etc.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Sparky
    I cooked like that till my gasket went away. With the PS in the legs up position the high heat is further down in the Egg and doesn't affect the gasket as much. When you use the PS in the legs down position, the high heat pushing around the base it almost at gasket level and will cook a gasket quickly.

In the pic below you can see the PS is over 500 degrees and the height is close to the gasket (although I don't have much left.) The pizza stone was only at 425 and the dome was reading 600.

IMG_1764.jpg
    Kent Madison MS
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    I use mine legs down when using the baking stone, most other indirect cooks are legs up. The guy at the store where I purchased mine explained it this way. Legs up when you are cooking something that would normally be in an oven. Legs down for using the baking stone or something that may be cooked on the eye of a stove
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    I used mine for the first time, and I used it legs down to cook bacon, eggs and hash browns in a cast iron skillet. WOW.