Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Egg Temp Help - Please

Wings
Wings Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a new egg owner I tried to cook some ribs today. I was hoping to set dome temp to 250 and slow cook them but for the life of me I could not get the temp below 300-325 with all vents closed. Is there a trick to maintaining a 250 dome temp ???

Would like to try a slow cook sometime soon but cant figure out how to maintain a 250 dome temp.

Any help is appreciated ... Thanks Tom

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

When lighting the egg start closing vents as you approach your cook temperature, as you now know it is hard to bring temperatures down.

This may help.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746823&catid=1

GG[url][/url]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Don't let your temps get above 250 to begin with...other than the fire from a burning starter cube which will read 350° the dome will quickly drop to around 150...then you want to catch it on the way back up to 250 by gradually closing the lower vent and daisy wheel until you no longer get any changes..
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Let your temperature come up slowly so it does not overshoot. Make small adjustments and give it time to stabilize.
    __________ Chris
  • Wings
    Is it normal to just have a very small area of the lump burning. I assume this is what would happen if you shut it down as it comes up to 250. Seems like the only direct heat would be above the small lump that is used when starting.
  • WessB
    perfectly normal....typically when someone is cooking at 250 they are cooking indirect anyway.....one of the finer points of an egg is how little fuel it needs to maintain lower temps..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The temperature will work either way. Twice I have had a vertical burn on overnight cooks, 250°. The lump burns down from the start point to the fire grate and the other outside lump never lights. The fire won't last overnight what something like that happens.

With all this I am guessing you are using starter cube(s) to light.

I now light in 3 to 4 places and can easily achieve the 250° stable temperature. I put a link above and if you will set your settings somewhat like those settings you will be fine.

Above WessB (oops Wess' post is below) detailed the characteristics of a fire starter lighting, paper towel & napkin and alcohol lighting methods will act the same way, a quick high temperature then a fall off with a slower temperature gain. That pull back and climb is when you want to adjust your vents.

If you want or need more detail let us know, there are plenty of people that are more than willing to help.

Keep in mind there are many, many ways to light the lump and achieve any temperature. Most all of those ideas/methods work just fine.

GG
  • Wings
    Thanks for the clarification. Still learning with every cook I do. Made some awesome corn on the cob today. Just soaked it for an hour in husks , then put it on direct for about 20 min at 300 dome turning it about every 5 in.
  • WessB
    Keep at it...it's really pretty simple once you get the hang of it...I do my corn that same way, usually a little hotter tho...