Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg has arrived across the pond!

Options
Smoking in the UK
Smoking in the UK Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello eggers,

I am delighted to say that my BGE arrived today and takes pride of place in my back garden. The delivery driver dumped it in the drive way which wasn't good as I had to drag it up four steps to its current location. These things ain't light!!

So excited for tomorrow - marinated boned leg of lamb, seared and then cooked indirectly on the plate setter. I'm sure there will be some trial and error until I get it just right. Think I'll do smoked chicken on Sunday.

The BGE is out of its packaging and ready to go - any tips for my first go?

Thanks guys, can't wait until tomorrow!!

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Just for clarification - do it over the plate setter not on it. Probably just a wordy thing but would hate for you to have a toasted lamb.
    Good luck , just remember lamb always excels!!
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Ps - get it going earlier than you think so you know how it feels.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You mentioned cooked on the platesetter. I presume you mean cooked on the grid with the platesetter used for indirect cooking.

You will get a lot of good info here

I think I would remove fire ring and sear the lamb close to the lump, then put in the fire ring and platesetter legs up and roast until your desired internal temp - but there are several ways you could follow.

Suggest wrapping your platesetter in heavy duty aluminium foil to keep it from getting all gunked up.

Good luck and enjoy. Welcome to the cult.

BTW - for the spelling police :) on this side of the pond, aluminum is spelled aluminium in the UK B)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Congrats on your new arrival! Now we need pics of English Egg recipes/cooks!
    Enjoy your EGG! :cheer:
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Is it right-handed drive? :laugh:

Good luck, good cooking!
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I see you are ready to go right away. I'd suggest instead that you might spend a half day just starting a fire, playing with the vents, and then shutting down. The Egg's temperature has lots of momentum/inertia. Its good to learn the small nudges to the vents that gives the temperature that is needed.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Congrats on your new BGE!

Might calibrate the thermometer just to be sure.

Good luck!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Awesome, congrats and welcome to a new way of cooking :D

You'll love egg'd leg of lamb... I sure as heck did when I cooked mine for Easter Sunday ;)

cheers

-Rezen
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    Thanks guys, This forum sure is a good way to learn the best way to do it. I spent all last night reading the stuff that comes with the Egg so I now understand the various ways that you can use the platesetter - I did intend to do it over the plate setter rather than straight on it, but I like the idea of wrapping it in tin foil.

Thanks for the tips about having a 'test run' first. Good advice as I want to get a handle on how to control the temperature.

My wife is on the search for a circular drip pan today (not sure I've ever seen one?!) and I'm off to the butcher for the lamb. Any ideas for a suitable marinade?

I was thinking mint and chilli...what else would be good to add?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Congrats! After all the work setting up hope you have fun today cookin in the garden. Paradise!
    Lamb is terrific from the egg. You can roast it indirect with plate setter and the lamb will turn out great. A few wood chips or small chunks of wood mixed in with the lump charcoal will give the lamb that wonderful grilled flavor with a touch of smokieness.
    Start your fire- get the plate setter, drip pan and grid in then let the egg come up to dome temp and stabilize. Let the egg run at your target cooking temp, (let's say 300 degrees dome), for around 30 to 40 minutes to allow the ceramics to soak up heat. Then you can put the lamb in and away you go. Roast to desired internal temp. then rest the meat 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
    Post pictures if you can. We like pictures. ;)
    BGELegoLamb9_06005.jpg
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    Clay,

Really great advice - thanks you!

I took the advice of various people on here - as well as yourself - and had a play around at adjusting the heat to varying temperatures to get comfortable with controlling it before setting it at 320 and slamming in the lamb.

It's been in there for just over an hour so far and all looking good - can't wait to taste it!

Thanks everyone for helping our a newbie Brit! Pics soon :)
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    Welcome and let us no how it turns out. B)