Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Steaks

Options
Austex_Egger
Austex_Egger Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was one cook that I was really looking forward to. I decided to do the standard method the first time, but will try the Trex method soon. I was not disappointed. Eggs are absolutely awesome cooking machines!!! :)

Started with some sirloins from Sams
101_1801.jpg

Seasoned with just some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
101_1802.jpg

On the Egg. I got the egg up to 700, then seared each side for about 3 minutes. I then shut down the Egg and let cook for about 5 minutes for mine.
101_1803.jpg

Mine came out perfect!
101_1804.jpg

This was the best sirloin that I have EVER grilled myself. I like to get more of a crust during the sear, I'm thinking I need to get the steaks closer to the coals for that.

My challenge is that my wife likes her steaks well done (I know, its a crime). Any one have any tips on getting steaks well done. I'm almost thinking I'll have to butterfly hers or something. I left hers in the egg during the cook process for probably 15 minutes and the were still medium well. I now have a thermapen which will help, but I'm thinking they will dry out if I leave them on there too long.

Comments

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    My challenge is that my wife likes her steaks well done (I know, its a crime). Any one have any tips on getting steaks well done. I'm almost thinking I'll have to butterfly hers or something. I left hers in the egg during the cook process for probably 15 minutes and the were still medium well. I now have a thermapen which will help, but I'm thinking they will dry out if I leave them on there too long.
    Yes, of course they will dry out if you cook them to "well done". That is what "well done" is. ;) :(

For the more crust, try the T-Rex. You will love it.

BOB
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    The steak looks great !!
    I have been using the little steak thermometers that you stick in before you cook and leave in until served.They don't read temps,instead it shows rare, med rare, medium and well done. During the dwell, I face them towards the front of the Egg so I can just crack the lid open and read them. I pull the meat just before the desired doneness and after sitting for five minutes they are usually right on the mark.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Wife likes stuff cooked longer. If you double the sear time you'll get more char. You can roast longer too to get well done. Or you could just soak some shoe leather in some sauce and train her to eat properly cooked meat. ;)
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Great looking steaks!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    My grand daughter bless her heart likes her steak like grandpa a bit on the rare side. We had some rib eyes last week ours the way we like & grandmas burned like she likes it. Funny thing is while we were eating and she saw the blood coming out of our steaks she got to gaging & ended up just trowing hers out.
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Options
    the sirloin is a tasety steak off the egg.looks good.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They look Splendid! :) You can put hers on before yours,it does'nt matter for how long.Not a lotta difference in well done and cremated. ;) :laugh: