Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

clarified brisket temp post

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should apologize for a lack of info My grid/dome temp is 220. The closest "rule of thumb" time is 2-2.5 per pound. I started cooking briskets in a weber kettle assuming that 1.5/ pound would work. It became a frustration for me and my dinner guests. Since buying an egg, the ease of use seemed almost miraculous. I have done several nice butts and briskets in a weber kettle, believe it or not, but my "Q" in the egg seem like the hand of God reaching down on protein. I just wanted to know if anyone had similar experiences with brisket cook temps. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

"but my "Q" in the egg seem like the hand of God reaching down on protein."

Creative... :S

Your gird and dome are not at the same temperature.

If your dome thermometer is calibrated and at 220° your grid is about 190° - 200° at best. Now if you are cooking the meat to say +/- 195° it is going to take a while to finish off.

A good temperature for a large cooking butt or brisket is 250° and the grid will be something like 230°, enough heat to finish off the cook rather than to keep it warm.

Here are the details on one of my brisket cooks.
    brisketlog.jpg

GG
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    I agree, I keep my dome at 250* and my briskets hit 200* internal after about an hour per pound.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    New to BGE but lots of water/gasser time-and I have found that BGE brisket (flat only here) time does run a bit longer than 2 hours/lb with a calibarted dome temp of around 250*F. Kinda like the old sauna/steam room temp difference deal.
    That said, always worth the wait-just have to start earlier to get to the promised land.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've never had one take that long and I've cooked about a dozen briskets of all sizes - flats and packers. They usually are tender in 1 to 1.25 hours/pound.

I cook at 250 dome which is about 225 at the grid.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA