Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's for B-day party tomorrow...HELP plz!

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try ABT's for my first time tomorrow. I am going to a family member's b-day party at 5pm. Here are my current thoughts and a few questions.

Plan:

- 'half-shell' ABT with left over pulled pork from the 4th.
- dry rub the bacon with more memphis dust which is what I used on the pork
- cream cheese
- wrapped in the bacon (obviously)

Here are a few questions:

1. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? I've never eaten an ABT let alone made one but I've been waiting weeks for a good excuse to pull the trigger.

2. As there anything else I should consider putting in the turd?

3. Is the pork good in there or should I go buy some little wieners?

4. How early can I make those before the party or should I take them over hot?

5. How do I cook these things anyhow? I've heard 350F indirect/raised but how do I know when they are done?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    The plan sounds good. Vidalia1 once posted his but added some peach salsa to that very mix.... I'll never cook them a different way than that.

Regular cut bacon works much slicker than thick cut.

I like them hot off the egg. Others will provide suggestions for reheating. I would go with a dry heat so the bacon doesn't get soggy (oven, low temp indirect grill). I don't love them nuked in a baggy or closed container.

Indirect at 350 will do the job. The bacon will be brown and crispy, and the pepper will turn a darker green and soften. You'll know.

They'll be huge bit, now I have to make some tomorrow!
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    In my experience, pulled pork or sausage in the peppers are both optional. The jalapeno, bacon and cheese flavors dominate. You could even go with straight cream cheese. There is no reason not to use the pulled pork as you plan to.

Think about how much of the seeds and membrane you will leave in each pepper. It makes a big difference in the heat level. You could make some on the hot side and others mild.

Right off the egg, ABT's can be very hot -- the cheese burns your mouth. But in general, they are much better hot than room temperature. If you will have access to a microwave at the party, they reheat easily and quickly.

I would go with 325 degrees for your first try. When the bacon is fully cooked, the peppers will appear soft and you are finished. It is pretty easy to look at the ABT's and tell when they are done.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I did 30 of these on a large the other day.. almost blew it by letting them go to long.. I would do like the other said..350-400, indirect with a drip pan to collect the drippings. Check them after about 30 minutes.. mine were almost toasted at 45 minutes. Pulled pork and the cream cheese is great. Good plan..
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like to add some minced garlic to the CC
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    I use the pepper holder from BGE it holds 20 and comes with a tool to core the pepper. As others have said make sure yet get all or as many of the seeds out that you want. Just a seed or two in a bite will give you a little kick. For my last ones (first on BGE) I stuffed the sausage with a mixture of cream cheese and sausage. 350 indirect for about 30 mins. They will burn if you go to long. IMHO what you want is the pepper to start to get soft and you are there