Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thunderstorms Tonight...Planned an Overnight...

ShinAmano
ShinAmano Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I planned to do an overnight BBQ 14lb Butt...can the egg handle or am I in-trouble?

On a similar note I cooked on the 4th and left the grate and top wide open to burn off the very used charcoal...huge rainstorm while we went to watch fireworks...came back and the egg was still sitting at 200...did I just answer my own question? :laugh:

Comments

• mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    I think you answered your question, as a new egg owner I have not done an overnight in rain with the egg. I don't see the rain affecting the temp inside the egg. The only concern would be how much of an opening you have on the top vent and if rain is able to enter at that point. I would think if you can somehow prevent the rain from entering the top vent you are good to go
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Overnighters with storms isn't a problem for the egg. You might want to get a "rain hat" for the top vent. A chinney cap works just fine, get them at your local hardware store. If the fire needs attention during the night, you may need some rain protection for your self.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    The egg can handle. I've never done an overnight when it stormed, but it does storm here in the late afternoon quite frequently during the summer. I never let it stop me from enjoying the egg.If it is just a thunderstorm, it will normally pass on through in a short time anyways. I don't cover my DFMT and I have never had a problem, but if it gives you piece of mind, do a search for rain caps. There are some good posts with some creative solutions.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Weather doesn't bother us.
    eggnsnow.jpg

If you feel the rain is too heavy then get a rain cap for the DFMT.

GG
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I'm with Eddie. I'm in the Raleigh burbs and we get storms in the later afternoon all the time. Come and gone. I never have an issue with it. If need be close the top vent to just a crack and open up the lower vent a bit more. More than 1 way to skin a cat. LOL. I'm more concerned with rain when using my BBQ Guru. I like to keep it dry.

Enjoy the cook.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If the daisy wheel is just open a crack, you might get a small wet spot on the butt. If that is a problem, as mentioned above, an $8 chimney cap, or a great big metal coffee can with holes punched in the side, will let you cook in downpours.

The only weather related problem I ever has was a sleet/freezing rain storm during a lo-n-slo cook that actually covered the dome well enough that the lid was briefly sealed shut.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Try an umbrella or canopy.

249762_10150211060604658_817239657_6780794_1518516_n1.jpg
  • ShinAmano
    ShinAmano Posts: 90
    Hmm...have to look into that. I think with the credit card sized opening I use for the BBQ I will probably survive...now only if I can get home and get the charcoal set up before it rains ^_-
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Sure it does... you're not cookin' anything!!! :whistle:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No reason to ever "burn off used charcoal". Just shut her down. Anything left that is bigger than the grate holes will only save fuel on the next cook.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    put a coffee can with some holes drilled the sides on top of the vent..... it won't matter how much it rains.... rr