Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex and Potatoes ?

mxdad
mxdad Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some suggestions

The plan for tonight is to go to Fresh market and pick up some nice strips and try the Trex method. I would also like to do some baked potatoes. Any suggestions on how best do do both on the large egg. I could do potatoes in the oven but that takes all the fun out of it.

So far my thought is to do the potatoes around 350 or so until pretty much done. Remove the potatoes, TRex the strips and then put the potatoes back on with the steaks when they go back on at 400, basically just to bring the potatoes back to temp.

What do the eggsperts suggest

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Rub the bakers with olive oil & a generous coating of sea salt

Cook indirect at 400 degrees until done...approx 1 hr

Put cooked potatoes in the oven preheated to 200 degrees

Take the platesetter out and get the BGE to 450-550 and cook steaks....eat & enjoy.... :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You could nuke them 1/2 way. Then do the oil and rub thing and finish in the Egg during the 20 minute rest and the remainder of the cook.

You could also start them in the oven 1/2 way and finish in the Egg.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • mxdad
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    You could nuke them 1/2 way. Then do the oil and rub thing and finish in the Egg during the 20 minute rest and the remainder of the cook.

You could also start them in the oven 1/2 way and finish in the Egg.

Good luck!

That's a good suggestion I have often nuked the potatoes to 1/2 done before putting them on the grill that may be the ticket
  • Ohio48
    Ohio48 Posts: 20
    We nuke ours, then cut in half score them apply butter salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Place on grill while it's getting up to temp. pull them off while searing the steaks, put them back on while bringing temp back down, put them back on while finishing the steaks.
    I also did this with corn still in the husk, soaked real good in water, we let the corn and potatoes ride along while bringing the temps up, and also bringing the temps down.
    After the steaks were done, it husked the corn and put directly on the grill for about 10/15 minutes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Start the egg about an hour early and begin the spuds at 400°. When it's time for the steaks lower the grate down to as close to the lump as possible and do the T-Rex Sear, then put the grate up to normal level and finish the roast if needed.

Or, start the spuds early 'roast' the steaks and do and end sear.

Or, start the spuds early, open all vents and to the T-Rex, toast the gaskets and cool down for the roast if needed.

Use a spider, go caveman, remove the fire ring then replace. Many options other than taking the egg nuclear.

mini_steak3.jpg

mini_steak5.jpg

Even right down on the lump (caveman)
    Fajita.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Nuke, foil. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Using foil is like taking a shower with a rain coat on. May as well as nuke fully or put in the oven. Why waste the lump.

The flavor and moisture provided by the egg is wonderful.

:)

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Now there is a true egg'r!!!! That's how its done.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    So far my thought is to do the potatoes around 350 or so until pretty much done. Remove the potatoes, TRex the strips and then put the potatoes back on with the steaks when they go back on at 400, basically just to bring the potatoes back to temp.

DSC09448a.jpg

After Egging the potatoes, how about removing the flesh, mix all kinds of junk into them and re-stuff. Return to the Egg for the twice baked effect, then remove them to a warm oven while you are cooking the steaks.

DSC09445a.jpg

DSC09446a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mxdad
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I am going with the start early method, take taters off for the TRex sear then back on for the cool down and steak roast.
    During my BE (befor egg) era I nuked then finished on grill. I want to do the entire cook on the egg to see the difference. In addition it will give me more time to sit out with a nice single barrel bourbon while "monitoring" the egg

BTW those twice baked looked great - next time
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    This is how I do it, but mine don't look quite that delicious. I'm going to have to try twice baked again soon.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    mxdad, which bourbon, "Bookers"?
    Hee Hee!

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • mxdad
    Bookers is a favorite but I am on a Blantons kick now LOL