Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Eggfest.First Everything.Now What???

Options
Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings all.
Last week I asked if I should pay the big bucks and buy my BGE in Canada or cross the border and save. Well I bought a demo egg for the August Eggfest at a winery here in Niagara Ontario. I saved about $350. The BGE will be at the Eggfest waiting for me. It will be brand new. I just have to cook on it from 11 am until 5 pm. Then I have to take it home. So...THIS IS THE QUESTION....How hot is this thing going to be? and how is the best was to transport it back home with me?. I have a Mazda CX-9. Plenty big but it ain't no pickup. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also...I thought it would be cool to make Canadian bacon. Am I off or is this a good choice?

That being said I am amazed with this community. Last post was read by over 500. Wow.

Kent

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Kent, congrats on your first egg :)most start shutting eggs down at other fests around 3 so they can cool off. also most of the demo eggs are kind of shared for the day for cooking so plan something simple that you are comfortable doing and can learn how to use the egg. maybe someone will cook on it first and show you the ropes and then help some if you need it. best of luck! you will love your new egg :)
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    When you're done cooking scoop the coals out into a metal bucket. Leave the lid open and you'll be ready to roll in less than an hour.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Oakville Egg
    Options
    That's watta wanna know. Thanks.
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Registered for the fest tonight. Can't wait to taste what you are cooking. I am sure what ever you make will be great. ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What they said:

Cook something you are comfortable with and hand out samples
    Don't plan on cooking the whole time so you can sample, meet other folks, visit, etc.

Not sure of the headroom in the Mazda - you may need to take the dome off. Depending on your help at home to take the egg out, you may wan to lighten the load by removing the fire ring and fire box. I would bring some large pieces of cardboard to lay down in the back of the Mazda to protect the carpet, and between the egg and the sides so the egg doesn't rub against the inside of the car. Some bungie cords to tie it back to something would be handy so it doesn't shift around. Alternatively, there have been folks that simply put the egg in a seat and strapped with a seat belt. "Big Green Egg ridin shotgun" :)

You will get to smell burnt lump all the way home - not a bad thing B)

Enjoy the fest and good luck with the egg.
  • Oakville Egg
    Options
    Great Advice. Thanks.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Here is a list of items that I found helpful when I did my first fest (beside the standard items):
    Food grade disposable gloves (Wallyworld/Sams/Costco)
    Roll of paper towels
    1 gallon jug of water(drinking and cleaning)
    Wet Ones
    set of cheap knives (that way when one doesn't come home no big loss)
    folding chair
    Buy a plastic bin and keep all your fest cook items there If you forget something there will be other eggers that will share.
    My first cook if forgot to pack a lighter and folding chair :blush: (I was offered both)
    Most important keep your cooks simple, which will give to time mingle pass your samples out and eat others food. Everyone there is willing to teach you all they know.
    My first fest I did sausage casserole(modified from the Bisquick box), a pork loin, and a dessert.

Good luck and have fun
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Hi Kent - welcome aboard.

Nick will have volunteers emptying the ashes from the demo eggs getting them ready for transport.

I believe Gary (Cannughead) posted some pics (last year or the year before) of an LBGE being prepared for transport and loaded into a hatch back. You should bring some bungee cords maybe every some cushions. If you do some searches, I'm sure you'll find Gary's pics.

Back Bacon on a bun sounds great, you might want to add a few more cooks - it could be a long day.

Welcome aboard!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Frank makes a good point...be prepared to remove the fire box, ring, maybe even the dome / bands.

You probably don't need to do this to fit it in your car, but it will make it easier to unload when you get home.

Maybe Gary (Cannughead) can send you (by e-mail) the pics I mentioned above. I'm pretty sure we dismantled everything before we loaded the car.

Cheers!

Michael
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    You like to jump straight into the deep end of the pool don't you? Congradulations anyway and I'm sure you will have fun. Most cooks down here like to set up under a pavillion tent. As far as a suggested item, hot wings?
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Kent - I cooked at the eggfest last year on the large demo I have at home now. I did have a mini that I bought in the summer.

I practiced the recipes I wanted to try on my gasser - last time it was fired up actually - now it holds the parts for my egg.

I'll be back in Burlington at the end of the month - if you want to try anything out on my egg to practice let me know.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If you will be cooking on it at the fest you should snuff it out early so it will be cool enough to load in your car seat and buckle in. Ha ha :laugh:
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Kent

Another fellow Canuck joins the cult ... welcome. It may be tough waiting a month to pick up your new toy. You are surrounded by fellow eggheads so don't hesitate to ask questions. Have a great time at Nieggrafest.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital