Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four racks of ribs in honor of the 4th.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got back from the beach a little early to avoid the traffic and decided to do 4 racks of ribs and have some of the neighbors overs. The ribs were done for 5 hours at 225 degrees, after being rubbed down with garlic salt, dizzy pig and brown sugar. I sauced them about a half an hour before taking them off and the candied up beautifully.

Four racks after 5 hours of being smoked and then sauced.
IMG00646-20110704-1639.jpg

About the look my new son gave both me and Kim when we put a little BBQ sauce on his lip. I think its a cross between pissed off and total confusion as to what is in his mouth. Boy only has the taste buds for milk thus far.
IMG00622-20110628-2145.jpg

I did notice a slight burnt after taste on the ribs that I have never had before. I've done countless racks. I can only assume that it came from 1 of three things I did differently this time. (1)I may have put put the sauce on a little too early, (2) possibly using table salt (iodine content) that was mixed with the garlic powder, (3) or using an old drip pan that had burnt chicken fat residue on it.

Ribs still came out great, but I'll have to clean up the rub and drip pan next time to avoid the hint of burnt flavor.

MP

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

The ribs look awesome! I love the photo of your son, my hair looks like that every morning when I first face a mirror except mine is no longer that color. :blink:

I would think the drip pan was the culprit.

Blair

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    He looks so confused, and maybe even a little excited!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The ribs look great MP. The pic of mud piglet is priceless!

If I had to pick the culprit for the burn taste, the prime suspect would be the charred drip pan. I had the same thing happen when I reused a pan.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    MP,

Great looking crew ;)

I'm betting on the old drip pan as the culprit.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking as well, doesn't help that its an aluminum foil oven pan either. I figure those break down over time. I'll need to invest in a nice oven save pan that I don't mind mucking up.
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    My guess is it came from the drip pan as well. i usually use the disposable aluminum pans and through them away. You can usually find them in packs of 5 or so at Sams. Over the years I have found that its easier to use these and throw them away than to go through the clean up of a non disposable pan. you can add a little water to the disposable pans and re-use them a couple of times. A small amount of water in them keeps the drippings from baking on