Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Olive Oil

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a great "condiment" discovereed by accident. It's a by-product of the fantastic the smoked olives recipe in Smoke & Spice. There's a lot of leeway/room for creativity here, but the basic recipe is[p]1. Use or make a disposable aluminum pan, just a couple of square inches than the layer of olives you want to smoke. [p]2. Put olives in this pan, in a single layer. I usually do about a 6" x 6" sixe pans worth, so keep that in mind when you need t increase the following qty's...[p]3. Drizzle about 4 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tables spoons red wine or port, 2 tables spoons finely chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (or basil or oregano or all 3), and 1 tablespoon rough cracked black pepper, over the olives. (Optional... add a few cloves whole garlic, add some dried tomatoes in oil, add some golden raisins, add some charred red bell pepper, or any type of pepper for that matter.)[p]4. I smoke on BGE, over lump with just 3 or 4 small chunks of wood (cherry, what have you), at 190 for about 2 hrs, to infuse with smoke-a-roma. Then pump up the temp to 270 or so for about 30 min (til juice starts to simmer) to get the olives coated with the heat-coagulate juices. [p]Basically, you are DONE! The cool thisg about these, besides how delicious they are, is that I almost always manage to be able to throw a batch in on the side of whatever I'm cooking. Don't oversmoke, however, or they can get that slightly bitter twang. [p]Now the interesting part. I screwed this up a few weeks back (I can't remember... I added a little too much opil, or I undercooked them a little), and when they were done there were a few tables spoons of residual oil, loaded, of course, with bits of garlic, pepper, etc. I tried drizzling this over a little parmiaggiano reggiano, and HOO BOY is was fantastic. Smoky, olivey, etc etc. I then drizzled some on top of a tenderloin steak and is was fantastic. Really good, even. [p]Which leaves me wondering..... theoretically, you could "optimize" this recipe for the original intent (smoked oilves) AND the delicious by product of "smoked oil" (by adding a little extrac oil/wine) or even make a tapanade perhaps, by also rough chopping the ingredients. [p]Oh, PS.... (the disclaimer)... using canned olives in this recipe yield poor results. I use just about every kind of olive imagineable, becuase there a bulk "Olive Bar" at the local grocer. My favorites are Kalamata and Nicoise, but they are all good, as long didn't come from a can. The canned olives never seem to "soften up."

Thanks for all your help! I can't wait to try that "latent skin" pork butt idea, Spin! [p]Mike/Seattle[p]

Comments

• Mike Flaherty,
    Oh, My goodness-this sounds divine!! We are a family of olive fans- might have to run out and get some to try tonight!!! THANKS- bet that oil would me fabulous on some fresh french bread......Cheers! Elizabeth

• Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Mike Flaherty, my wife absolutely loves olives (not me,UGH), so I will try this out. It amazes me how people can come up with ideas. I never have any. I can follow directions great, however. Thanks for the input.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Mike Flaherty,[p]Thats a beauty...! Post that one in the recipe files and your original will live in posterity. First great innovation in Y2K in original discoveries. I too love olives...Cheers ..C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Mike Flaherty,[p]Wow! The possibilities are endless. Thanks.[p]Spin

• randman,[p]I really didn't like olives (UGH!) very much until I stumbled over this either! And i still think that common "green olves" from a jar, or "black olives" from a can are hideous/insideous. So make sure get good olives, and just take the tiniest nibble off of one of your honey's olives! Mike.[p]