Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Halibut

Bad Andy
Bad Andy Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here, but have been enjoying my Egg for over 6 years. Have even been to the SF Bay Eggfest a couple of years ago, and enjoyed that event. Wish they had one down here in SoCal.....

Anyway, went out fishing over the 4th and caught a nice 18 pound Halibut. I have grilled a couple of filets on cedar planks and they turned out great.

I was thinking of smoking some of it (like the smoked albacore). Anyone ever tried smoked halibut?

Halibut.jpg

I was thinking of trying Steven Raichlen's (BBQ Bible) recipe for rum soaked salmon, but with a lower temperature (190 or so) and longer time..

Let me know what you think, or if you have tried anything.

-Andy

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Bad Andy: Halibut is SO lean and mild, especially compared to Salmon. What exactly is it you want to acheive? Just smoky flavor? Would like to know more about what you want for an end product.
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Nice catch...right off the coast of Catalina it looks like. ...I miss Cali! Enjoy!
  • I made some incredible halibut on Monday... Grilled for a few minutes each side and used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and plated with some wok'd greens with chili paste & Shitake Mushrooms... Just awesome.

Not sure about smoking halibut, to me it has such a delicate flavor...Great catch - they are charging $20+/lb for halibut in ATL ...
  • Bad Andy
    Bad Andy Posts: 3
    I have been just grilling it, and it tastes wonderful, but is more like a full dinner dish. I was hoping to smoke it and eat it cold, as a snack/appetizer. I have had smoked albacore, swordfish, marlin, and mahi mahi before. Just not sure how
    people did it.

Was hoping to do the same thing with some of this halibut while it is still fresh.