Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cutting pork butt into pieces for more bark?

HubHub Posts: 61
edited 1:09AM in EggHead Forum
I really love the "bark" part of the pork butt and find myself always wishing there were more. I am going to do another pork butt this weekend - very low and slow. Will I be screwing up if I cut the butt into 2-3 pieces so as to produce more bark? I usually cook a butt in the 8-9 pound range. Would cutting the butt into three separate 3 pound chunks affect the flavor? The tenderness?

I'm sure it would cut the cook time, which worries me that the end result may be less tender. I just really want more bark :silly:

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Not too worry!
    I just did a 3# butt and all was good (if not better)! :laugh:
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have actually wondered the same thing, and have considered trying it but never have. I was actually thinking of cutting one into about 6-8 chunks.
    Why don't you try it and let us know?
    I don't think cooking a whole 3lb butt is the same as a 9lb one cut into thirds, but I could be mistaken.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,980
    did 2 last weekend, cut all the fat off, boneless, cut side up so it looks mutilated on the grill, mustard and lots of rub in all the exposed cut crannys. cooked at 275 to 300 for about 8 hours. lots of bark. you lose bark if there is fat on it. wit the but splayed open it cooked alot faster than i would of thought which was good because i didnt know i was going to cook it til the morning
  • eggtopiaeggtopia Posts: 75
    The last one I did was a 3.5 lb. butt. It came out great.