Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Crust Rubs

Options
RFB
RFB Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone just told me about these rubs. Anyone have any experience with them?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have used a couple of them and the only one I like is the Peppercorn Garlic, on a steak or beef roast. Mostly I use Dizzy Pig Products :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I tried them a few times. The flavor was decent, but I didn't get a crust, but a rather mushy breadish coat. Perhaps I just needed to boost the temp, but I believe I followed the instructions.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I can see that, they are a very fine grind, the flavor is pretty good, but you will definetly not get a crust.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I measured my result against what my mother routinely made, sort of a high standard. With ordinary ingredients in the 1950s & 60's, her pork chops and steaks usually had a fine crust. Nothing mushy, and sometimes a slight thin lifted crust/skin. Whatever she put on the meat, she did cook it at maximum.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I tried a couple of them but just couldn't get into them. I too never got a crust, even following the instructions. I'd rather stick to rubs alone.
    The Naked Whiz
  • bbqblues
    bbqblues Posts: 31
    Options
    I've used them in the past and liked them very
    much; never had a problem obtaining a crust on
    steak or pork.
  • greendean
    greendean Posts: 50
    Options
    i have used them and would agree with most of the eggers. The flavor is very good on them, but it isnt much of a crust. Good on flank steak.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    If you are looking for a crust or bark, as others have said, they do not get it. That said, some of them have a pretty good flavor in our opinion. We really like the garlic/peppercorn on fish.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    beb5b86b.jpg

They got pretty beat up on a few BBQ forums a few years ago, and I'll admit the some of the ones I've tried are not as robust as other seasonings, but there is a place for them. Roto is my favorite, and they do say it is more of a seasoning and not to expect a "crust" when using it. I use the garlic peppercorn, but not for grilling. I use it when braising country (shoulder) ribs, it gives the broth a great flavor.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery