Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

PIZZA HELP

UNDFTDUNDFTD Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picking up my pizza stone today and need advice on how to make a pizza. i have a plate setter and a extended grate. How should i set it up and what temperature and how long do i let the pizza cook for?

thanks
·

Comments

• Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
    I used the plate setter, legs down, then propped up the pizza stone using the extra feet from the BGE. Looks like this:

101_1786.jpg

Allow enough time for the pizza stone to get up to temp. I waiting about 45 minutes. Had the BGE at about 550 and cooked the pizzas for about 10 minutes. came out great!

Good Luck!
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,566
    Looks good to me as well.
    A cheap wok ring also works well as a spacer if you don't have spare feet.
    Most any rest supply store sells them for 3 or 4 dollars.
    Really like platesetter legs down rather than up with grid on top. Better air flow. Just like your photo.
    You can also fill up the lump for longer cooks.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Wok-Ring-14-12-0557/dp/B00125LOJ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310068740&sr=8-4
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I also use the setup of PS legs down, green feet, then stone. I go 700dome for about 10min for thin crust. If you don't have a peel, use a pizza screen or ventilated pizza pan. Some folks will say to use parchment paper and leave it under for the cook duration but it does create a moisture barrier which sort of defeats the purpose of using a stone....for crispy crust.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,818
    I have found I can pull the paper at 2 to 3 min's.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • RFBRFB Posts: 6
    After experimenting different ways, I find it best to use the plate setter with feet up and the grid with pizza stone on it. Better air flow and better crust!
    ·
  • RFBRFB Posts: 6
    After experimenting different ways, I find it best to use the plate setter with feet up and the grid with pizza stone on it. Better air flow and better crust!
    ·
  • UNDFTDUNDFTD Posts: 8
    thanks for all the advise. Hopefully they will come out good. Ill take pictures and share them with you all.
    ·
  • MazzdogMazzdog Posts: 44
    I just use the plate setter, legs down. use the little green "feet" that came with the Egg to put some space between the platesetter and the pizza stone. This air barrier really helps as I used to put the pizza stone right on the platesetter and ended up burning the bottom of the pizza before the pizza was completely done.
    ·
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    If anybody can address a technique specifically for a Papa Murphy's large pie I'd be most grateful. Mine always come out with an underdone crust... I am using the plate setter (legs down) and the BGE stone on top of it.

I cook the pie on the paper tray for 8-10 mins and then slide it on to the stone until the toppings look done. I have tried egg temps from 425-550F but the crust is always crummy--too doughy.
    ·