Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Couple of CWM ribs questions

rcplanefanrcplanefan Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all. Just got my large Egg yesterday, and I'm thinking of doing some ribs this weekend. I read through the recipe and I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you soak the wood before putting the chunks in at the beginning of the cook, or do you just put them in dry? What is normal? I've used chips before and always soaked them.

2. Where do you get a drip pan that fits so nicely in the egg? I need to find something.

Thanks!
Ken
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

No need to soak chips/chunks ever. If you want to prolong the smoke make some large foil pouches with holes in the pouch.

I use a stainless steel 14" deep dish pizza pan (from Walmart) for a drip pan. Some use disposable aluminum foil pans, 2fategghead has used a oven broiler pan which works well on the large. There are a lot of options.

GG
    ·

No need to soak chips/chunks ever. If you want to prolong the smoke make some large foil pouches with holes in the pouch.

I use a stainless steel 14" deep dish pizza pan (from Walmart) for a drip pan. Some use disposable aluminum foil pans, 2fategghead has used a oven broiler pan which works well on the large. There are a lot of options.

GG
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    No need to soak wood before using in an Egg.
    Find a casserole dish that fits into the Egg, then use it as a mold to make a drip pan from multiple layers of HDAF.
    ·

·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 959
    i make a drip pan out of aluminum foil, easy cleanup and trow away after.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I got the BGE 13x9 Pan, that fits perfectly in the platesetter on my Medium. I line mine with Aluminum Foil so I don't have to clean it.

Some people use the disposable foil pans.
    ·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Go to the $ store and buy a cheap alum pan.Good luck to all.
    ·
  • Weekend WarriorWeekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=387688&catid=6
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :P

Thought I'd post for you for future reference since you're so new here. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mark
    ·
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    BajaTom wrote:
    Go to the $ store and buy a cheap alum pan.Good luck to all.
    This. Go to walmart or BJs or what have you and buy some in bulk. A couple of sizes is good too. I don't always use the large ones. Just cheap disposable ones. No clean-up. Perfect.

As for soaking the wood. I've done both and my meat seems to taste the same.
    ·

Smart ass!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I knew I would catch crap over that.

Hope you guys are doing well.

We still have 3 to 5 feet of snow up in the mountains. The ski lifts were open on the 4th. Only the second time. The guys were in cut-offs, some idiots were in speedo's and some gals in shorts or bikinis. Everyone getting suntans (sunburns).

Kent
    ·