Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pig Leg

davidigdavidig Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my friend was a helping out at this pig cook off and was given an entire back leg of a heritage pig. I would say it weighs about 10 pounds. he had no room for it so now i have it.

I could use some advice on how to cook this thing. Im not sure if i should go low and slow, put it on a roisterer or braise it? Any advice would be great.
thanks
David

Comments

• James MBJames MB Posts: 347
    I'm amazed you didn't get a reply.
    fwiw I've slow cooked leg just like shoulder (butt), though there's not so much fat and connective tissue to reduce and I haven't tried one as big as that.
    Leg is very good roast too.
    At that size you could cut it in half and do two cooks and see which you like best!
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    If it weighs 10lbs, it must include at least the lower portion of the ham. Ham is the rear quarter of swine, typically divided into 2 sections upper/lower, similar to how a shoulder is divided into butt/picnic. You could cure it for a traditional "ham", or smoke it for pulled pork. Or for that matter cook it however you please including the afrementioned braising.