Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt Butt

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
34369%3C5523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3DXROQDF%3E2323832%3B7%3C684ot1lsi
<p />Well, here is my 3+ pound butt after 9 hours. I took it off when it reached 180° and wrapped it in foil and towels and placed it in a cooler for just under an hour. Very tasty but a bit greasy, probably due to my taking it off too early. I think I can do a large one now with great success. I was kinda surprised that it took so long @ 250° to 275°. [p]Spring "Learning All The Time" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Did you put some kind of red rub on it? Is that just the smoke that did that?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    eggecutioner,
    I coated it with some brown sugar, yellow mustard, a light sprinkle of G'Rilla rub and a wee bit of kosher salt about four hours ahead of time. It could have used more salt. My smoke flavor was strong. I used pecan, hickory and a small amount of cherry. I suppose the color could have come from either the smoke or the sugar.[p]Spring Chicken

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]That is a FINE FINE looking piece-o-meat sir. Congratulations![p]Joe
  • Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p] How long was the plateau?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    eggvis,
    Don't know. Probably a couple of hours. It could have still been at the plateau when I took it off early before reaching 200°. I was too hungry to wait much longer.[p]Spring "No Patience" Chicken

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Yeah, 180 was probably too early, but I understand your impatience. My last two butts sat at 183 for almost 4 hours, so I think you can be around 180 and still be in the plateau. [p]Next time, let 'em go to 195 internal - I've had great success with that finishing temp - no grease issues.[p]Still, looks really tasty! Congrats on your first butt![p]Cheers,[p]TRex[p]
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I have not pulled one that low, but have seen many comment here that that will pull a butt off the egg at around 180* and slice it ranther than pull it. Good luck with your next one. That thing is a beaut.
    Seth

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I smoked 4 pork shoulders Friday/Saturday. The egg was full. I put them on at 10pm Friday, held the temp @ 185-220 and kept them on the grill till 6pm the next day when the fire finally went out. I then transfered the meat to the oven to til the internal temp hit 195. That took another hour and a half. My meat stuck @ 155 from 10 am saturday till I pulled it off the egg. This was the most I have ever cooked at one time. Next time I will kick the temp up to 275 @ the 14th hour. I waited about an hour before I pulled the pork. It was the best yet. I have done 3 of these at once before and it did not take as long. I have been smoking pork on the egg now for 4 years and it is by far the best way to cook pulled pork. [p]A couple of suggestions I would stay with hickory for pulled pork. Cherry is great for steaks and pecan is great for chicken (or ribs). I have used both with pulled pork but for classic pulled pork you need hickory only. I really don't care for mixed wood. I also only use chunks unless it is sugar maple or alder which I can only get chipped. You should make your own rub. The recipe here (on the website) is a great start, but this is where I get creative. I pull all the spices out, leave the measuring spoons alone and begin pouring them in a bowl and mixing and tasting. When it taste right it is done and it is a lot less expensive than store bought rubs.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Looking good, now shoot for the larger one and go a little longer. I use dome temp of 225 to 250 and had an 8 pounder go for about 23 hours, removed at 200 and set in foil in the cooler for about an hour before pulling. It made me the best neighbor on the block.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    why1504,
    I probably should have mentioned that the mix of smoking wood was because I didn't start with a clean Egg. Those were leftovers from previous cooks, although I did add some Hickory. [p]I'm a bit lazy so I will likely stick to already prepared rubs and sauces. For one thing, I learned very quick that my tastes tend to be considerably different from my wife's and others. By using a prepared rub or sauce I can always blame it on the manufacturer Hee Hee.[p]I agree, bumping it up a notch or two toward the end should break it out of the plateau. In fact, my internal temperature actually dropped a few degrees at one point while the dome temperature remained constant.[p]I also came to the conclusion that maybe a small butt cooks differently than one twice that size.[p]No doubt, cooking a great butt (or anything else for that matter) takes a bit of practice. That, I am willing to do.[p]Spring "A New Day Dawning" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]Thank you...[p]Spring Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    New Bob,
    I think it may be a while before I put an 8-pounder on. Even the 3-pounder produced a lot of meat. I was impressed. I'm doing steak tonight. I know how to do them. No waiting...[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    TRex,
    Spring Hen thought 200° was way too high to cook a hunk 'o pork. I told her I read various recipes and they all were at the 200° mark. Now I know why. Actually, I did bump the Egg up to 300° for about ten minutes before removing the butt but the internal temperature didn't rise but 2°. I had the feeling I would be over cooking it at that temperature so off it came. I also estimated that wrapped in foil, towels and cooler, it would rise another 10° or more. Apparently, it didn't.[p]There will be more chances in the future.[p]Spring Chicken

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]If you show up on Thursday for the Texas Eggfest, you can help me cook several butts for the Friday Evening Meet & Greet.[p]We'll get you up to the Big Butt League in no time. Heeee.[p]GM
    [ul][li]Texas Eggfest Website - Register Today![/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    BIG BUTT league????????????? Watch out for the StumpBaby post if he see's this.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Sir Mix-a-Lot is the grand poobah by the way. just thought you'd like to know...