Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Driving an Egg to Canada - duty-free?

CanadEgg
CanadEgg Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I'm much closer to the US than I am to any BGE dealers in Canada, and the prices between the two nations are -- well, there's an extraordinary jump north of the border.

Normally, paying duty at the border would be enough to put me off, but I've been doing some research, and if I stayed in the U.S. for more than 48 hours, and paid duty on the excess cost of the Egg (about $300 for a Medium), I'd be eligible for a "preferred tariff" of only 7%, according to the Government of Canada Web site.

The Egg might even be duty-free, if it was manufactured in the USA or Mexico, according to this PDF.

Can anyone tell me where the Egg is manufactured, and if there's anything in its documentation that clearly states it (if it was made in the U.S. or Mexico)?

Even at the "preferred tariff" rate, we're talking under $50 in fees. Much, much less than the $200+ difference in price between Vermont and Montreal.

Is there anything I'm not considering here? This seems a little too easy...

Comments

• CanadEgg
    CanadEgg Posts: 2
    Forgot to mention: I am aware that there'd be a warranty issue, and in the (apparently vanishingly unlikely) event that I needed to use the warranty, I'd have to boot back down to Vermont with the Egg. I don't see that as a dealbreaker, given how reliable they seem to be (and that the Vermont dealer is closer than any Canadian city that sells 'em).
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    How about use it a couple times and then bring it back. :laugh: They sure can't charge you taxes on existing stuff, or simple cargo. Can they? :whistle:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Just visit the US dealer often enough and they will back you in the future. I'd sure think.
  • bcdon
    bcdon Posts: 17
    Buy it in the US, that is what I did. The egg is made in Mexico so you'll only have to pay sales taxes (HST here in BC) on it.

EDIT: BTW, the dealer markup here in BC is at least 50% on every item. Even if they added an import tax, you'll still be better off.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    We were on the same track. B)
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    What dealer are you buying from? Unless you already have picked a dealer, I'd be happy to link you with mine, assuming you are from Montreal...he's probably the closest to you.
  • CPB
    CPB Posts: 133
    I bought one in Spokane Wash and crossed the border in BC, duty free.....Call the crossing first, I do not trust them to be consistent. I was prepared to pay if needed.
  • I have heard of bootlegging whisky, even smokes, but never smokers!!!! this is good stuff... carry it in the trunk and run the border?

Maybe you can get float it across with a coyotee....

seriously, good luck you are gonna love the egg...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Yup - you could get away with duty free - but you'd still be paying the tax on the amount above your personal exemption.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Most things are duty free. Would worry about it.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    spend a couple of days camping in vermont...... use the egg allot ..... get it good and dirty and tell the border cops you had it with you all the time..... and you owned it for years... rr
  • Cityplace
    Cityplace Posts: 15
    Don't worry about it - the most you'd pay is the Sales Tax (if even).

I bought my Egg from Buffalo (and trucked all the way back to Toronto) - and even declared it at the border and they let me through (and I was there less than 10 hours).