I was really intrigued to try these until I found out that "ABT" stands for "Atomic Buffalo Turd". Then I read a few recipes and I remained pretty skeptical. Jalapenos, Little Smokies, cream cheese and bacon? Hmmm...
I told my wife about them and her reaction was "meh". But long story shorter I decided to make some anyway. Started my Egg at about 400, which was too hot, and I forgot to put down a drip pan so the bacon was melting directly onto the coals, causing a fair amount of white smoke that didn't smell too good.
After about 30 minutes on the grill I pulled them and let them sit for a bit to cool down. My plan was to take one bite and throw the batch out if they tasted bad -- but they were awesome!
My wife tried one and then announced: "Okay, I'm going to need more of these." A few minutes later she confirmed her earlier assessment, "Wow, these are so good!"
I assume everyone knows about ABTs but there are a lot of new Eggers on the forum, so here's the recipe:
ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turd)
- 2 large jalapenos
- some cream cheese (I used a garlic and herb cheese)
- 4 strips of cheap, thin bacon
- 4 Little Smokies (or some smoked sausage)
1. Chop the ends off the jalapenos and cut them in half lengthwise.
2. Remove all the seeds and membrane.
3. Fill the jalapenos with cream cheese and put a Little Smoky on top.
4. Wrap the stuffed jalapenos with a strip of bacon, covering the entire thing.
5. Put down a pie tin or some foil to catch the grease from the bacon.
6. Get your Egg up to about 350 and cook for roughly 30 minutes. (The bacon should be crispy.)
It's amazing how the flavors all meld together. It was smoky, crunchy, and at the end there was a little heat. (But it's not bad. My wife doesn't really like spicy food and as I said she loved these.)