Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: HELP! gasoline smell in car interior: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yesterday I played road side assistance to my 81 year old neighbor with his moped that has the power of a portable hand mixer. Somehow some gasoline must have leaked onto our fabric interior though I found no telltale wet spot. My wife won't drive the car now as it gags her. :sick:

I've left it in the blazing hot sun with the windows down, but it still smells like a suspicious vehicle in Baghdad! Any hints on how to deal with this problem short of torching it and filing an insurance claim? :laugh:
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well get the carpet shampooer out and start cleaning and vacumming, or take it to a car detailer.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Ron,
    No guarantees but I learned this from a used car dealer that said it gets cigarette smoke smell out of one. Sprinkle coffee grounds around inside the "close" the windows on a hot day. Just vaccuume up the grounds after. Hope this helps or someone else has a better idea.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Try this:

http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.com/healthy-natural-dog-products/shop-by-manufacturer-for-dog-products/seayu-petrotech-en/

It's the 2nd product. I know it says "Pet Odor Eliminator" - however, this stuff works on most everything, so hopefully it'll work on gasoline smells.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    might try this but check it first in a spot to see if it bleaches the fabric, it didnt bleach the dog when he got skunked and it was amazing how well it worked on skunk odors. if its a nice car, go to a detailer

* 1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
    Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
    * 1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
    * 1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
    * 1 pair of plastic or latex gloves
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We have used a small bag of charcoal slit open in the trunk and one in the backseat floorboards. (understand: not out of the bag)
    Leave the car in the sun with the windows up.
    opt 2:
    pull the trunk carpet out and leave it in the sun for a day or so.
    opt 3:
    leave the car with windowns down in the sun for a day.
    All three have worked for us over the years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HA HA just had to chuckle at that idea Micky :) our ford focus stationwagon in Fl has the seats all down and about 15 bags of lump in it :) it was on sale just before we came home in may so we stocked up! the last owner was a smoker so maybe the smell will be gone :sick: ............... course the new owner is too.. but only in the eggs :whistle:
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Not sure how well it will work with gas smell, but if you know someone who has an ozone machine, borrow it and leave it in overnight.

A couple of years ago we bought a used car. A very nice 12 year old Benz with ridiculously low miles on it (little old lady who drove it to church once a week). Well the little old lady must have been a chain smoker as I could barely drive the thing home without choking. Borrowed a friends ozone machine, let it run overnight. Could not even tell someone smoked in the car after that. Simply amazing.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Some interesting ideas. Will have to try in the future. My wife picked up some fuel a few weeks ago and sure enough spilled some in our mini-van. Just the heat and having the windows open and time was enough to rid the van of the smell. Once all that stuff gasses off. The carpet shampooer should help that along for sure. I did nothing and I can no longer smell any gas in my van's interior. It lingered for over a week though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Had the same problem on the back seat of our vehicle (fabric seats). After about a week of windows & doors open I went to autozone and picked some 'new car' sent spray can and just flooded the area. You might ask if they have a product to neutralize the spill.

I am thinking a commercial scent remover would work as good or better. These are available from comercial cleaning suppliers. There is also a deodorizer for elderly care. 'm9' made by Hollister. The m9 will neutralize strong urine odor in carpet and I am guessing that might also be a good work through.

There are several types, some are designed to cover up others are designed to neutralize.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I would think your shop would have some product to deal with something like this.

Kent
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    hope that the lump will smell like hickory and not like cigarettes when burning :pinch: :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Thanks to one and all! We have a couple more stinking hot days ahead so I'll take the cheap route of airing it. I just drove it 30 miles with the windows down and maybe that air rush will speed it along.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My vet uses Frabreze.. Great stuff! Give it a try!!
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    Easiest fix.........trade it in. Lol!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    That's easy. Cut the top off of a box of baking soda and put in down in a bowl with NO lid(just to keep it from spilling) and leave it in the trunk.

Also, but some lump in another bowl and set it in the trunk too.

The smell WILL NOT go away until you remove the two bowls because it will literally soak up the smell. Leave it for a week, and if need be change it once or twice during that week.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    Thanks to one and all! We have a couple more stinking hot days ahead so I'll take the cheap route of airing it. I just drove it 30 miles with the windows down and maybe that air rush will speed it along.

Cheap is good. Worked out okay for me. Hot days. Keep a crack in the window too. I did the same with driving with the windows open as much as I could.