Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grates

Options
eggsrgreat
eggsrgreat Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering buying the cast iron grate for my large. Are they worth the money? Is there any real advantage?

Comments

• Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    The Cast Iron Cooking Grid (I use the term grid and grate interchangeably but some people here get pissy about it. Grate is technically used to identify the charcoal grate.) is great. I use it for all my cooking. The bars are closer together than the standard grid so you eliminate the need for a grid topper for small items like veggies or shrimp. And the bars are triangle shaped. The pointed side is great for searing, while the flat side is perfect for things like burgers or fish, as you can get the spatula under the food easier. And you can take your standard grate and some SS nuts, bolts, and washers, give it three legs and have an extra grate.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm assuming if you season it well, and use it as often as I do, rust isn't a problem.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    have one, its heavey, its prone to cracking, it does sear at lower temps than the traditional grid. i use my adjustable rig alot more, stainless, holds up well, if i was looking to upgrade the cooking surface it would be an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store hands down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Some folks swear buy them, others say the stock grates are fine.

Personally, I like mine for 3 reasons
    1) sear marks (yeah, you can't taste them but you eat with your eyes first)
    2) thermal mass - just like the Egg ceramics that hold heat, creating steady temps, cast iron does the same
    3) accessories - mine has a cast iron griddle accessory that I use for searing seafood, etc
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    eggsrgreat wrote:
    I'm assuming if you season it well, and use it as often as I do, rust isn't a problem.

Correct.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    Never have "seasoned" mine on either egg. I just use the
    heck out of them and never do-rust. My Large does have a
    crack that opens up on HIGH HEAT but it has never
    broken.

Love the CI - 2 sided and cooks so nicely. my only
    complaint is the probe tree from my Guru doesn't fit
    well like the round bar grates.
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    I had a gift certificate from the mothership, so I can't really comment on whether I would have bought one with my own money. But I do love my cast iron grid!

I never really seasoned it. Just let the grease and what-not get into it really wekk. brush it occasionally to get the gunk off.

If I don't use it for a few months(the horror!), it will rust slightly. Just hit it with the wire brush lightly and spray with some cooking spray before heating the egg.

It seems heavy-duty and does add some thermal mass to the egg.

I also got a replacement porcelain grid (my old one got cracked and rusty), but I don't think I've EVER used it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wished I had the money back for my large and small CI.
    They sit in the box all the time now.
    Like the new SS much better as it is lighter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I use my CI's a lot and like them very much. No need to season them, the gunkier the better, never need cleaning.
    Before you by be sure and check out Craycourt Grates at www.cast-iron-grate.com, they are a good product and the griddle insert is very handy :)
  • climbing egg
    Options
    All I use for direct cooking is my CI grate. I took a friends advice and bought mine when I bought my egg.