Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Table design snafu

brookspwbrookspw Posts: 7
edited 3:05AM in EggHead Forum
I am ready now, and have time, to build a table for my egg. I am going to have to customize because I am going to "build it in" to a 6 foot wide section on my deck, sort of an alcove.

So, I'm doing research. You guys have built some beautiful tables. This is an example of one thread that has pics of 3-4 different tables and they are representative of what I've seen.

Here is my question: All of them have 3-5 inches from the bottom vent / ash door to the edge of the table. When you rake the ash out -- what do you do, just rake it across the table? That doesn't seem to be optimum to me. I am tryin to get ideas on a solution for this. One option is to have a cut out under the ash door. This will require some additional support.

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Somebody, forget which forum member, posted a plastic dust pan that was cut out to fit tightly against the curve of the BGE under the vent.

• You can buy an ash pan from BGE or simply pick one up at a hardware store a cut an arc in it to fit snug against or under the egg and rake the ashes into it.

BGE's ash pan is on this page

I made my own but rarely use it. I simply scoop out of the bottom of the egg with a $2.00 laddle I picked up at Wally World and bent the handle :)
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    if Neil ever gets time to build mine I already have a metal frig drawer that will slide under the shelf, under the egg, it just needs small tracks to run in. there will be a small cut out so I can just scrape it right out of the egg and in the the metal try that can be removed for clean up. it also would act as a spark catcher.
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    On mine, instead of a paver, I have a piece of Granite that is the same width as the table. Anything that I miss with my ash pan falls on the Granite, and can be drug right off the edge of the table.
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,473
    I just rake them to the front and suck them up with my shop vac.

Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 883
    I shove a plastic bag under the vent and rake the ashes onto it. Then fold it up and dispose in second plastic bag.
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I use a cheap shop vac for all my cleaning chores :)
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You simply use a 0.97 ash pan...

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I use a small 1" high baking pan.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BarManBeanBarManBean Posts: 129
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned this, not even Whiz!

I just finished my table and roughly followed the plans for building the bottom shelf using "Plan B."

Whiz suggested making the stone go all the way to the front of the table instead of having wood there. Turned out great, and I shouldn't ever have to worry about ash dirtying up the table, just brush it off of the stone.

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    I've never taken my ash out of the bottom vent. I scoop it out with a shovel through the top every few months. No big deal.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    BarManBean wrote:
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned this, not even Whiz!

I did. :) B) :)
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 816
    I rake the ash to the front and use a small shop vac to suck the ash out.
  • brisket30brisket30 Posts: 122
    I USSR a shop vac for everything. Never scoop, never dirty up the table.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Shop vac. ;)
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    I use a shop vac...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Dave ShadyDave Shady Posts: 247
    I use the BGE Ash pan its made well and fits
    right in the track that the door opens and
    closes on. No ash in the track and it will
    last forever. I also like it becasue I can just
    clip it in the track and not have to hang
    on to it. Sometimes its easier to use the
    tool made for the job. But to each their own.
  • PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    Works great!

• PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    Works great!

• I have a small shovel that I slide under the egg and it just hangs there while I pull out the ash with the ash tool.

When the Egg is sitting on BGE feet, a small space remains between Egg and stone and thats where I shove the shovel. a dustpan would work fine too.
  • bennybenny Posts: 109
    double bag walmart bags go directly into bag under shelf..i also stick the bag in old wastebasket that fits right under it....