Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can chicken w/out the beer - fantastic

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
wifey wanted tsunami spin beer can chicken last night (this is probably her favorite eggfood). .. .tried something a little different though. ..instead of beer, i loaded the can with white wine . . ..added about a tablespoon of dizzy pig tsunami spin to at as well. . .rubbed the bird good with olive oil and more tsunami spin. . .roasted at 375 dome temp, indirect over plate setter till done. .. .dang it was good. . .as much as we love it done with beer, with the wine it was even better. . ..moist as always and with great flavor. ..[p]while this was roasting a did up a potato galette on the stove and in the oven, timed it so that when i pulled the chicken out of the egg, i moved the galette to the egg to finish in there for 15 minutes or so. . ..along with fresh watermellon it was a great dinner. . .[p]btw, i used to use chickens in the four pound range for beer can chicken. . .. but i've started using the large perdue oven stuffer roasters lately in the 7 - 8 pound range. ..they take about 2 hours in the 350 - 375 range to be done, but we are finding we really prefer them. . .they are really moist and juicy, and absorb great flavor from the liquid and the egg. . ..

Comments

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max, Sounds very good. Wine is something many eggers don't seem to use or enjoy as much. I have diabetes and red wine lets me enjoy some of the finer things in life.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Sounds good Max. Wine can chicken. You guys come down from that baseball high yet?[p]Mike
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]i too like the effect of the olive oil. when I do it right, the chicken looks like I put it in a rotisserie. [p]look for e-mail from me direct.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jopa,
    i don't think using beer for a beer can chicken is going to measurably increase your carb intake, unless you drink half of it first. ..what i do when i use beer, is to cut the tops off of two coke cans, then add half a beer to each one. . .i.e. 1 beer for two chickens. ...[p]we really liked the white though... think we'll be doing that again. . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    we've had three days of beautiful baseball weather, and the 'nats' just swept arizona, so we remain undefeated at home. . .it doesn't get much better than that. ...plan on going again in a couple of weeks, and at least once or twice a month through the summer. ..

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I switched from beer some time back. I currently use..........Mountain Dew......yes MD can chicken is great too.