Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Excited in the UK!

Smoking in the UK
Smoking in the UK Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggers,

My amazing wife has bought me a large BGE and I take delivery this Friday!! BGE mania has reached this side of the pond and I am so excited. Not sure that I'll be that productive at work tomorrow as I decide an appropriate inaugural menu!

Watch this space for photographic evidence - now all I'm praying for is some sun!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome aboard! Maybe you ought to ask Prince William to smuggle back a couple jars of LaBomba from Canada for you and you'll be double set! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks RRP, Wills was out when I called him. Sadly we're a bit behind you guys when it comes to marinades, sauces and rubs so I have to resort to the homemade variety! Hopefully this BGE thing will catch on in the UK!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Welcome to the forum! :) We'll be waiting for 'photographic evidence' from across the pond.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Congrats!

You will not be disappointed!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Smoking in the UK,

Cheers! They must be a fortune over there. You will never regret that gift.

Steve

P.S. We have Will and Kate over here now and I think he will be taking one back B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg, it's 10pm here and I'm in the kitchen following the recipes on your link..thanks!!

I think I'm going to do brisket on Saturday - thanks for the comments and help guys, fingers crossed for my first attempt!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Don't worry about the sun. While many of the folks on this board are in the traditional "BBQ belt," the Egg lets those of us in colder, rainier, and cloudier climes enjoy BBQ throughout the year. You will be able to have 'Q in the middle of January blizzards, assuming you can wade thru the snow. Really, roast Christmas goose is so easy.
  • GDenby I will rarely cook indoors again! My old Weber was used in snow and driving rain - my neighbours think I'm mad.

Here's a question - is there anything that CAN'T be cooked on an Egg? The dealer here claims to have cooked a baked alaska to perfection on the Egg?...have you guys experienced any failures?!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd have to say that the Egg is not the best way to make a pot of stock. You will be able to make boiled items, but it isn't that efficient.

And get your dealer to post a shot of the Baked Alaska. Should go into a hall of fame.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Eggin in the UK!! Whaaht a trip. Enjoy. Send Pics!!
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Very nice gift indeed. That girl is a keeper. Hope the weather is perfect and your first cook is even better than expected.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Pretty much anything that can be cooked in an oven, on top of the stove, or over an open fire can be cooked in an EGG, just wait till you do your first pizza!! :ohmy: :woohoo: :P :cheer:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I haven't mastered ice tea yet, but then you wouldn't know what that is, would you, LOL!!!

Where are you? My wife was born in Sherborne and was living in Hook, working in Basingstoke before I rescued her. Now she lives in the land of free phone calls and cheeseburgers.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Welcome aboard ---- warning!!!!! This is a cult ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We have several Eggers on your side of the big pond - Germany, Ireland, etc. THey will show up on here by n by!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Welcome! What a nice gift.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome guys - seems I'm going to have fun on here! Naked Whizz I am from south of London in East Sussex, about 70 miles from Basingstoke. I'm sure your wife doesn't miss it!

Think I'm going to order a pizza stone as well...this is an expensive hobby :)
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Just thought I'd say hi - not sure how many UK eggers there are on here.
    I was in Dorset then Shropshire (nearish Ludlow) now Scotland.
    Have you located a dealer?
  • Waring
    Waring Posts: 4
    In the UK... Yorkshire to be exact so am expecting to use the egg in all weathers!

Egg ordered, delivered and... sitting in the garage waiting for the wood to be delivered to build a table for it to live in. Hopefully this weekend.

Spending far too much time thinking about what to cook and what eggsessories I now need.

Looking forward to Brisket, Pizza, Pastrami and Pulled pork (probably in that order)

Nick
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Hey James, where in Scotland are you? I live in Oldmeldrum.

Cheers

-Rezen
  • Hi James,

I did locate a dealer - they are called Alfresco concepts and can be found on the 'contact' section of the UK website www.biggreenegg.co.uk.
  • There's loads of us - a UK Egging-collective!
  • James MB
    Rezen - I'm near Aberfoyle - the other side of the Cairngorms from you. I remember seeing you were moving to the Aberdeen area - I hope you managed to get some decent lump. It's getting to the end of the lump season here in the UK so I may check to see if there are any offers to stock up for the winter.

S it UK - there's nothing as expensive as the egg (apart from my Kamado K7 white elephant but that's another story!) but seriously the amount you have to buy for it is minimal. I've got a platesetter (came with it) and bought a woo ring and later a pizza stone. I have a cast iron crepe pan and a skillet I got on clearance and have cut the handles off. Oh and a third hand - it's brilliant. but that's it. I have a medium so my accessories are limited (and that's a good thing!).
    I tried to contact Alfrecso concepts about a year ago and never got a response. I got my pizza stone from Luxury living in Bridgend, Wales.

Before this I was always looking for something to solve a particular problem on my Weber (or the succession of cheap grills that preceded that). I realised how much cr... stuff I had accumulated when I came to move recently.

Waring - I've managed great brisket and dry brisket, the butchers always seem to bone and roll it in small portions (or pickle it), when I asked for a whole brisket it was a yard long!

Two great staple of mine are Hot smoked salmon (TVWB ) which transforms cheap supermarket farmed salmon into something divine and spatchcock chicken 1 hour simplicity.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    I am an Expat living in Italy. It took me 9 months to find a good supply of lump here. Very Very expensive. Just like the egg.
    Main problem is to get the rubs, sauces, cuts accessories that all the guys on the forum talk about. It is frustrating in Europe. When I go to US my suitcaseS return full of stuff. LOL
    If you have a good butcher you can have real fun in the UK with a BGE!
    I will check out the dealer. I am in UK soon with car so can load up.
    Interesting to find a growing interest in UK. I guess I am alone in Italy.
    Enjoy. I do. so do my friends.
    Andy
  • Waring
    Alfresco are really pushing the Egg and are sarting to build their network of dealers.

You can look on their web-site for someone locally.

For anyone looking for charcoal... found this site which is pretty competitive and looks to be decent quality (rather than B&Qs own). If you order a reasonalbe amount, the postage cost still means its cheaper than egg branded stuff.
    http://www.woofwoodfuel.co.uk/lump-wood-charcoal.php

Will let you know if the coal is ok
  • James MB
    I confess I miss the excellent butchers of Ludlow and environs now I've moved north of the border.

I've had mixed results buying lump, i usually try a bag or two first before plumping for anything. A few years ago Tesco had some very good own label stuff which they put on offer - I added 20 bags to the weekly .com order after trying it - the delivery driver thought I was nuts, sadly I can't get those deliveries any more.

I happened upon a big blue bag at petrol station in Henley on Thames that is the same as pictured on this site. Thought about ordering from them this winter but wasn't sure of the source - thought it may have been S Africa and certainly not FSE

Liverpool wood pellets

So - to return to the initial topic of the thread - how did that first cook go?
  • Waring
    Unfortunately Egg still sitting in the garage...

Am one step closer in that the wood is delivered and all sawn to length. Just waiting for time to screw together.

Am on holls next week and have a week at home the week after with a day put aside to get up and running.

Nick