Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Back! Tried me some pastrami

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been too much life going on the last few months and this culminated with the loss of my father-in-law a week ago. My wife and I decided it was time for some stress releif in the form of egging. So, with the usual fajitas, brats, burgers, etc. out of the way it was time for pastrami!

Been reading posts on it for a few days and I worked loosely off of the fire and smoke blog (thanks for all that you do!!).

Here are a pair of 3 pounders just in the smoke. Using oak and cherry.
f6bb927e.jpg

Waited until they hit 170 then foiled one with stock and put the other in a dutch oven with stock for braising. Couldn't really tell the difference. This is the first cut.
3df67a8d.jpg

We had family over so other than a few slices for tasting it went into the 'fridge until today. Here is the sliced up version.
59d36f31.jpg

I made a bunch of rub and got to use both my coffee/spice grinder and mortar and pestal...loved that process. I loaded it up knowing it was thick but scraped some off before the final slicing.

If you haven't done pastrami, do it. I will never buy it from a store again!! Yum.

Comments