Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auber vs. Digi DX

Options
FloridaTexan
FloridaTexan Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I understand the Auber controller is newer and not as prevalent around here; but help me think out loud here:

Auber - $125
Digi DX - $260

-Auber is just a pit temperate controller
-Digi controls pit and meat temperature

Where I am not seeing the justification of spending double on the Digi is with this:
When doing overnight cooks I plan to use my Maverick ET-7 for wireless monitoring of the meat temp and use of alarms.

Wouldn't the combination of the Auber and Maverick do everything I need it to?
Is there something I am missing?
I know the Digi has features such as open lid detection and ramp down, but is that worth double?

Comments

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    I bought the Auber last year and it works great. I use it just as you suggest. It controls the temperature and that is it. My Maverick lets me look at the meat temperature and the egg temperature from inside the house.

My last pulled pork I set the temperature at 210 and left it for 14 hours. Bumped temperature up to 275 till done.

It is not fancy but it works for me. I recommend it.
    __________ Chris
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    For you, it sounds like the Auber might be the best bet. The Auber isn't built as well, but if you treat it right, it should do the job. The Auber does have Open Lid Detection, of a sort. It's a PID controller so, it attempts to react and predict and using the factory parameters, it did quite well when I had the cooker at 300 and then opened the lid for 30 seconds, then closed the lid. It climbed back up to only 310, oscillated a bit but got back to pretty much on target.
    The Naked Whiz
  • FloridaTexan
    Options
    I read your review on your website - I certainly appreciated that.

I did read the part about the open lid being better on the factory settings vs. auto-detect.

Again - thanks for that review, it was very detailed and about the only one on the web.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I like the DigiQ II thats the OLD version lol. I have
    been using it for 2 years now not a problem. We also
    sell them and have not had anyone bring one back with
    problems at all. Proven and works well lil investment
    yes but so far so good. Also I like the MEAT probe option as I DONT HAVE TO OPEN the dome until I know
    the meat is DONE. Closed pits is better in my opnion
    for the entire cook on butts.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    The Auber does one thing and does it well. Keeps the temp right where you wan't it. No fancy options or data recordings. Not a flashy controller all your buddy's will be drooling over. But hell, If it makes you sleep a little better at night and saves you a trip outside in a foot of snow it's worth every penny!

* Just watch for it to go on sale. I was able to pick one up last year during their end of the year closeout. Picked mine up just shy of $100. Go for it even at $125. I like mine and recommend it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I've never seen or even heard of this Auber thing.

It sounds like the folks that have them seem a little skeptical about the quality of the Auber.

I've been using various Guru products for 7 years and have never been unhappy. I had a problem with the very first product I bough from them. I called up the folks at the Guru (actually got shotgun Fred that day) and they Fed-ex'd me a new control unit so I could cook for the 4th of July party.

The fit and finish is very high quality, the control is state of the art, the customer service is as good as BGEs, and they were the original. All of those things bring a lot of folks to buy a BGE and it could also drive you to buy the Guru. Oh don't forget about the ramp mode where the control will lower the temperature to match the desired temperature of the meat so it literally cooks and holds for you.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    The one advantage of the DigiQ over the auber is the ramp feature, as the meat gets close to it's target done temp the digiQ begins to lower the grill temp closer to the finished meat temp. Which can be nice if you are off site for some reason, your meat will not turn to charcoal.

The auber is closer in features to the nanoQ. That being said I just received my auber yesterday, have not used yet but sure liked the $137 delivered price. Build quality seems okay as long as you are not ham fisted.

If you want the best, the new stokers look pretty sweet, especially now with wi-fi.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sure is a lot of talk about the Ramp Mode on the DigiQ. Nice feature, however, the last time I looked at the manual the ramp kicks in about 30° below food target temperature.

Let's say were are cooking a butt. Target +/-195° less 30° = the DigiQ starts reducing pit temperature when the food temperature hits 165°. Most of the time the meat is just getting into the ramp mode.

The ramp is a nice sounding feature but it doesn't seem too practical.

I wonder how many people that have a DigiQ actually has used and or continue to use the ramp on butts and brisket cooks.

I used the ramp mode once, the cook took a heck of a long time and I ended up turning ramp off and never used it again.

Everything I have read and have heard from folks that have the Auber is good.

I would take a long hard look at that initial savings before buying any pit only controller.

GG
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Thanks for that clarification Grandpas, I have read about the ramp mode and my friend has used it, I did not realize it kicks in 30 degrees below desired done temp. It would make a butt or brisket cook a longer affair. That makes me more glad that I went the lower price Auber route.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    I bought and used my Auber for the first time over the 4th weekend. Could not have asked for better control at low temps. It did a great job. Standard thermocouple lead and plug is nice. You will be able to buy off the shelf replacement if you ever need it.
  • okjimmied
    okjimmied Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the Auber and it's worked great for me. I can basically set it an forget it. My meat thermometer has a remote so I can sit inside in the A/C while the BGE does its magic.

JimmieD